So I ordered a Domino’s pizza…

May 17, 2012 by dairycarrie

Picture in your mind, it’s a Thursday night, you’re tired and hungry and you’ve maybe had a few beers. You want pizza and you are luck enough that your husband is still in town, where pizza is a carryout option. You have options, there is a new Little Caesar’s, Pizza Hut, Papa John’s, two local places and a Domino’s. How do you pick?

Recently, when presented with a proposal from HSUS (Humane Society of the United States, not the same as your local animal shelter) to ban gestation crates in pig barns, the board members of Domino’s said no. Instead they said that they would reach out to the folks that produce their ingredients the farmers and ranchers across the country and ask them what the best management practices are. Why would they do that when so many other companies have gone along with the demands of a very vocal group? Because they count the folks that work with the animals everyday as experts. So tonight we had Dominos.

A little pepperoni, mushroom and pineapple action on hub’s Domino pizza.

I am a sucker for veggie pizza so I tried the Pacific Veggie Pizza, with extra mushrooms. It came with feta, provolone, roasted red peppers, spinach, onions, black olives and of course mushrooms and the crust has a nice dusting of parmesan cheese.

So to be honest, I can’t remember the last time I had Domino’s pizza. I don’t remember liking it very much and while I know they had responded to customer feedback and improved their pizzas from their commercials, I hadn’t taken the leap to try it again until tonight. I have to say, it was really good! But the box, I must say, stole my heart.

This is what I was loving.

So not only does Domino’s choose to listen to the true experts when it comes to animal welfare, they give a shout out to my cows. I think that is pretty awesome. Of course I am not the only one applauding Domino’s decision. There are many other farmer’s and rancher’s that want to say thanks and a few of them came up with a plan. This weekend help us out and say thank you to your local Domino’s by joining the “Ag Pizza Party”. You don’t have to be a farmer or a rancher, all you have to do is appreciate a company trusting the folks that are the experts in their field and order a pizza. I would also suggest printing out the thank you note that they have  here and giving it to the manager so that they know why you choose their business over the other options.

I also took this opportunity to find out more about pork production practices. To be honest, I really didn’t know exactly what a farrowing crate or gestation crate was. I really liked the video that Chris Chinn posted showing her facilities and I know that if I have questions about pork production in the future I can ask her.

13 thoughts on “So I ordered a Domino’s pizza…

1. Bob Dryer says:

I wouldn’t rely on the opinion of Chris Chinn alone for your info. I would do some research on the topic. Gestation crates were put in place for economic benefit and there is a lot of science that support and do not support their use. Many are divided on the topic. Keep in mind her building specs and hog numbers are determined by her contract with the company that supply the hogs.

All CAFO’s are required to have a nutrient management system in place as per DNR requirements – as determined by the number of head on the farm.
    I believe she does take good care of her animals. Her buildings are clean and well kept. She is an excellent example of how these animals should be taken care of in a CAFO environment.

I also have a problem with the argument that new hog housing regulations will cause them to have fewer hogs and be less productive…wouldn’t that also allow new farmers to enter the field and pick up the slack? Back before hog producers were so large and few under contract – there were many independent hog producers (like the way cattle are raised today). Is that a bad thing? I don’t understand the close mindedness of the subject.

I agree that information shouldn’t come from only once source. But I believe that Chris is a positive voice in the industry and a good person to go to with questions.

• Dannielle says:

the use of these crates is not just “economic benefit”, that’s the upside of good management- by being able to better assess each individual animal’s health and well being and prevent animal on animal aggression injuries, production is increased. there’s no benefit (and no reason) to use a system where it’s difficult is not impossible to individually monitor animals and prevent them from coming to harm.

I don’t own any hogs (or dairy cows or beef cattle). I have visited a number of farms over the last few years getting more involved and educating myself and seen how and why some producers choose different methods. After getting my hands dirty and my eyes opened, I am perfectly content in purchasing pork products from gestation and farrowing crate systems. I believe it is a product that is safe and affordable for my family and provides quality care for the animals.

We don’t order out much, I prefer to make all of our meals from scratch, but I think we may order a Domino’s pizza or two this weekend in appreciation of the fact they prefer to listen to the people doing the hands on work, 24-7-365, and not a group of folks who have no interest in ever eating a single bite of the pork produced,no matter the method.

2. raylindairy says:

National dairy promotion works closely with Domino’s to promote dairy products.

3. Vieva Lathrop says:

Love your Blog! I look forward to trying Domino’s tomorrow night!

4. the beth says:

I’ve tried them twice within the last year myself since they launched their new campaign. Their crust was really good (buttery!). We not only had the pizza (artisan spinach/feta, and regular pepperoni) but a pasta breadbowl sans breadbowl (chicken carbonara), and a sandwich (chicken habanero… sweet & spicy!). Everything we had was scrumptious. Their elevated (and successful) efforts in service, satisfaction, and quality received 2 pizza sauce-coverered-thumbs up from me.

5. Chris Chinn says:

Your pictures make me hungry! Thanks for watching our video too. As a point of clarification for Bob, we own all of our livestock, we are independent hog farmers which means we do not raise hogs for any one but ourselves. We own our hogs until the day we send them to market. Our family had a Nutrient Management Plan in place prior to DNR requiring farms to do so. At the time our video was made, it was not a requirement by DNR.

We chose our barn design with the help of our veterinarian and nutritionist because they are the experts. As Danielle pointed out, we are able to give our sows individualized care by using our stalls and we have prevented the bully sow from injuring other sows. We can monitor individual needs of each sow daily, we think this is important. My family has used group housing too, and we found the stalls better protected the sows and we were able to prevent many problems from occurring. What works on our farm may not work on my neighbors farm, and that is ok.

• Bob Dryer says:

Chris, thank you for your point of clarification. I appreciate it. I hope you did not think I was attacking your farm or family. I think you are doing an excellent job promoting agriculture. I was just pointing out things I thought might be important when looking at these types of operations. Concerns I have personally. Especially with gestation crates. I at one time did raise hogs and know the agressive behavior you are talking about. I’ve also read the science for the other side. It suprised me that you own the hogs you raise. And as you have said what works on your farm – may not work on another. Once again thank you for your response.

6. Chris Chinn says:

Bob – I didn’t take your comment as an attack. It’s a common misconception made by many people today. People do not realize there are still quite a few independent hog farmers around. As I mentioned earlier, our family has used both group housing and independent housing. Our sows are in much better condition by using the stalls. We no longer have sows that overeat and give birth to pigs that are too big to pass through the birth canal. Since you have raised pigs, you know that results in serious complications for the sow and puts her at risk of infection and death. We also no longer have sows that have been injured by fighting. Our sows health is better monitored by using the stalls. As our veterinarian pointed out to us, when the sow willingly walks into the stall, you know they are comfortable. We have left the gates open before on accident, the sows never leave the stall. And I firmly believe each family needs to make decisions based on what works best for their herd, family and farm. We rely on our veterinarian and nutritionist to help us design the care we give our animals. We are always striving to improve with their help and guidance. Thanks for the conversation, it’s the best way to clear up assumptions and guesses!

7. Steph says: