Norma The Best Cow Ever has her baby and What brings you to my blog?

August 7, 2012 by dairycarrie

I am up and waiting for #Normathebestcowever to calve. I can’t quite put the work into a real blog but I thought I would share something that often brings a laugh to my husband and I at the end of the day… and answer some questions that are apparently not answered anywhere else!

#normathebestcowever is still enjoying her vac...

#normathebestcowever is still enjoying her vacation. She’s due to calve on the 10th.

WordPress hosts my blog and they keep track of all kinds of info like how many people visited each day, what posts they viewed and what search terms they entered that brought them to my blog. Now I can’t see who is visiting. So don’t worry, I won’t know if you really don’t know about “Boneless Bananas” and “Hormone Free Milk” which are the top searched terms that brings people to my blog. I am pretty proud of the fact that when folks want information about hormones in milk, they end up here.

Apparently plenty of people want to know “How long do cows live?”. They especially want to know how long Jersey cows and Holstein cows live. The answer? Cows can live into their 20’s, but that’s really, really rare, kind of like a person living to be 115. Cows leave the herd at all different ages, for lots of different reasons.

Many of you want to know about “Chicken Nugget Paste” or “McDonalds Raw Meat” I am thankful that I had the great Chris Raines to help answer that question.

“What goes best with Rumchata?” I am glad you asked. Check out my interview with the founder and let him tell you his favorite way to drink Rumchata.

Tattoos! Love them or hate them… Lots of folks are out there looking for their perfect “Farming tattoo”.

“What to eat for dinner?” Well I suggest this or maybe this or this! But a lot of you want to know “how to cook Tri-Tip” or my “Smoked Chipotle Artichoke Dip

This too. #bacon #food #agchat via dairycarrie

This is so true, and awesome.

My best “tips for salesmen” and to whoever is searching for “peeing party girls” is to stay away from Mandy’s farm.

If late at night and you’re thinking “I don’t want to be horny anymore”, my suggestion is that you should get a girlfriend. I’ve considered renaming this post.

If you are googling “Cody Canada” and you ended up here, cool! Welcome!  Same for you folks who are looking for “Matt King”

And for all of you who are obsessed with “sticking your hand in a cow” “girl with her hand in a cow’s ass” “putting your hand in the side of a cow” and other variations of that theme, you’re all weird. I guess I can thank KrittaBug for you.

************UPDATE!!!!!!!**********

Norma just had a bouncing baby boy!

Meet Ned! Maybe isn’t too sure about him.

I think Ned sure is cute. He is a cross of Normande and Jersey from Norma and Red Carrier Holstein from his Dad.

18 thoughts on “Norma The Best Cow Ever has her baby and What brings you to my blog?

1. Ahh, that calf is too cute! My cows are due any day and I can hardly stand it. To be honest I’m not really sure how I found your blog, but I promise it wasn’t by “googling” anything. Although I’m seriously considering naming a post “girl with her hand in a cow’s ass” when I talk about preg checking – just to see what happens.

2. Liz says:

I should have commented last night on you facebook page about Norma not being too keen on you “checking” her, but I’m here now and since you personally have not “calved” I thought I’d share that when waiting to deliver being check really, really sucked. The surprising thing was that being checked by my female nurses I would say they made it 5 times worse than the male doctors; you would thing a lady would have more compassion compare to a man, so not true in my case.

Anyway, congrats to Norma – the best cow ever and welcome Ned.

3. Steph says:

Congrats on Norma! Looks like she had a nice calving! Ned is a nice looking calf! May she produce lots of milk! Yesterday we had to have a C Section done on one of our cows, long day.. long surgery. Makes us grateful for all of the calves born without our help at all!

4. Jackie says:

Ned looks awesome! More chuncky than the holsteins i care for. I have been working with cows only 8 wks. I googled calf care & found u. I need to know everything as i know nothing about them. Horses yes, cows no.

Hi Jackie!
      Welcome, glad to have you here and reading! Believe it or not Ned’s sire is a Holstein. But I think Norma’s genetics came through some and gave him a little wider shoulder and hip. I also started as a horse chick and there is a lot of knowledge from horses that you can transfer to cows. Good luck!

5. Karin says:

Very cute and well set calf,! Did not find your blog by the “hand in cow`s ass” question,.. but rather a way-too-late-in-the-night-to-be-on-the-computer insomnia rampage through a trail of fab agricultural blogs by women:D Love your blog – nice to read about farming all around the world and realize it is just as much fun and just as hard as it is here;D Greetings from a woman NRF (Norwegian Red Stock) dairy and meat farmer in Norway:D

Karin!
      Welcome 🙂 I am glad you found me by more conventional means. I would love to know more about your farm. I use some NRF and other Red breeds in my crossbreeding. You might like to check out the dairyxbred.com blog. Lot’s of talk about NRF there!

6. Jackie says:

Thanks carrie! Do u have a calf & cow primer?! Lol! Today i got to work for my morning shift & found the little bull calf dead. He was 2 days old. He had to be pulled.took about half an hr. Thats how long it takes to lead show cows from the parlor back to the show barn when u do it alone. What is a dummy calf? Poor thing never stood or had a suck reflex.

No, no primer in calf and cow care. I learned what I know from our Vets and attending as many classes as I possible can. Check with your boss about classes that the feed companies or other dairy associations put on and maybe they will start sending you so you can learn more.

7. Cowgal says:

Jackie, We had a calf born alive, but no reflexes. The mother was down with milk fever. Told the vet to give the calf milk fever treatment. He gave it 20cc and went on to treat the mother. Within 10 minutes the calf was up and running around. Vet said he had dummy calves before and from then on he would treat them the like this calf just to make sure.

8. I either searched for “agriculture” or “livestock veterinarian” and ended up here. Either way I am glad I did. I know this is an old blog but I wanted to comment. I did those searches because I am working on becoming a large animal vet and I love learning about agriculture and livestock.

9. Ryan Goodman says:

I think I knew you before your blog. I’ve slept since then. But it was really cool meeting the “cheese lady” in Nashville last year, Now I’m not sure what I’d do without entertaining Dairy Carrie posts. I should seriously do a review of the search terms leading to my blog. Apparently I talk about cow reproductive terms too often. 🙂 Congrats on the newborn!

10. […] cow” just that someone viewed that page. My friend @DairyCarrie recently took a look at what her blog followers are searching for and it made me want to take a look at my own […]

11. […] life where she would like to experience the love of another bovine. Actually since Norma calved back in early August she has had 3 instances of these carnal cravings also known as showing a heat. A cow cycles about […]

12. […] In August Norma gave me a bull calf and I will admit, I was disappointed to not have another daughter from her to carry on her line. A while after Norma calved she started to show signs that she wasn’t doing well. We had the vet out for her and judging from the symptoms we made the decision to do a surgery on her to fix a twisted stomach, a fairly routine surgery for a dairy cow. We weren’t positive that she had the twisted stomach but since she was Norma and she was special the chance that it was twisted and she would get very sick from not fixing it we decided to cover our bases and do the surgery. The thing was, when we got in there we realized that her stomach wasn’t actually twisted. Severe indigestion was causing the symptoms that mimicked a twisted stomach. […]