Truck No.

January 18, 2013 by dairycarrie

Hubs and I at The Departed's Milwaukee show, I am rocking my "Truck No" shirt.

Hubs and I at The Departed’s Milwaukee show, I am rocking my “Truck No” shirt. It’s behind the beer.

I may offend you with this post. If you have ever followed my tweets during various music award shows you shouldn’t be surprised.

I’m just going to come right out and say it, Tim McGraw’s song “Truck Yeah” is the perfect example of everything that is wrong with country music today. Dustin Lynch’s song, ” She Cranks my Tractor” is runner up in the death of music that means something contest.

I want to know when did music become mindless and homogenized? Why is it ok to have songs that seem to follow the formula of truck, girl, tractor, platinum record?  When did lyrics like ” If I said you had a beautiful body – Would you hold it against me, If I swore you were an angel, – Would you treat me like the devil tonight? If I were dying of thirst – Would your flowing love come quench me?” Turn into “She’s the first one up the hayloft ladder, A girl like that’s what a country boy’s after, She cranks, she cranks, she cranks my tractor, She cranks, she cranks, she cranks my tractor” …
First one up the hay loft ladder? Girl sounds a little trampy to me, just saying.

Anyways, it’s Friday. Let’s enjoy a little music that allows us to use our brains. This first songs sums it all up pretty well and Cody Canada is hanging around in the background.

How about a love song? A love song that doesn’t involve diesel fuel, it’s possible people.

And a little anti- love song to counteract the last one

Have a great weekend everybody. Let’s rock the rest of the day.

29 thoughts on “Truck No.

1. This post makes me very, very, very happy.

2. Diana says:

“Girl sounds a little trampy to me,” is the best line I’ve read all week.

That said, I’m pretty sure you probably hate some of my favorites, too… even though you didn’t mention them.

3. J. Rhoades says:

Haha. Although I like my fair share of Eric Church/Blake Shelton/Dierks Bentley I couldn’t agree with you more about most of today’s “country” music. Thanks for the laugh.

They all have some decent songs but over all the music is just too polished and too pop.

Side note, the Dierks Bentley concert at our county fair last year was one of the top 5 concerts I have ever been to.

• J. Rhoades says:

I agree it’s mostly too pop. That’s why I like Eric and Dierks though because you can tell they mostly write their own stuff and Eric is defiantly not polished.

Um, yeah, I saw Dierks for the first time at the National FFA convention when I was in the front row and I touched his boot! He’s been my boyfriend ever since!

4. Jodi says:

I don’t either of the current songs did very well on the country charts. The older song by The Bellamy’s (?) was and probably will be a classic for quite some time. That’s why I love Eric Church his stuff is quite a bit different than what is out there. I’m not a big fan to T-Swift either. .. Miranda on the other hand has some awesome stuff. Love her!

5. Jodi says:

Carrie,
    You might a Michigan band. Gunnar and The Grizzly Boys. Find them on FB. Their concerts are killer.

6. Amen Carrie!!! Who cranks tractors anymore unless they are antiques in a parade? Oh boy, You make my johnny popper *pop* and my speakers go boom boom…cause that is what all girls want to hear. The lyrics are so silly!!! What does it mean!!! It’s provocative and gets the people going I guess???

Sorry I have to share this little rant – I’ve gone on my fair share of “country dates” but the song “Big Green Tractor” – does anyone else think the guy in the song is a cheap a$$? Cause “she was wearing a new dress and curled her hair, looking to good not to go somewhere”…so instead of taking the girl out you ride around in a tractor….yeah buddy….not impressed.

7. Karen L says:

I hear you! So much of today’s “country” music is not country to me. Bring back George Straight, Toby Keith, Josh Turner. I’d be happy to never listen to Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, TSwift and a few others. I may offend some also with my thoughts. Oh well. I find myself switching away from my Sirius “Highway” station and going to anything other than what is being offered at the moment quite a bit lately

8. Charles says:

Couintry music began to die off 20 or so years ago( and there is a good arguement that it was a little longer that it actually began). George Jones recognized it. That was the foundation for his song,”who’s Going to fill their shoes” as well as a couple other songs that recognized the fact.

They no longer seek out people who can actually write meaningful songs and are true Wordsmiths! They now seek out the people who look good and then they generate the music,etc. with computers to go along with the show.

Technology has brought some wonderful things to the world but it has been at the cost of people paying attention to detail, being able to actually interact with other people and many other things.

• Oh I disagree there’s no longer wordsmiths around…there IS! They may not get played on radio because “that’s not what sells” but they’re there. Jeff Bates, Darryl Worley (also a cattle breeder btw!), Craig Morgan, Phil Vassar, Ronnie Dunn and a host of others can and do write ‘real lyrics.’ Radio doesn’t want that. Some say it’s digital or nothing – CDs are old style as are those who sold millions of ’em.

9. brandibuzzard says:

I love this and although I already knew I liked you, I just liked you even more. Did that make sense? I echo your thoughts on country music. I miss the days of real songs by King George (Jones) and King George II (Strait), Garth, Alan J, Don Williams, Conway, Linda Ronstadt – I miss REAL music. I think I was born in the wrong decade….

10. You crack me up. I agree these songs are mindless and cheap. Do they want their 5 year old daughters singing these songs. I wouldn’t.

11. Chuck F. says:

Another band with no songs about trucks is honky-tonk band Whitey Morgan and the 78’s out of Flint, MI. They are the real deal even though they aren’t from Texas.

12. 'Charlie' says:

Being from GA, I am surrounded by mainstream country. And there are times when my ‘redneck’ side wants to roll the windows down, turn the radio up, and not have to think…just cruise. But 99% of the time I like meat in my lyrics. I like words that move me, inspire me, challenge me, and sometimes scare the hell out of me. That’s why I am so thankful for RK, MMB, The Departed, Hood, Eady, Turnpike Troubadours, and Stoney, to name a few.

13. Kelli says:

I totally agree!

14. carolyncares says:

You basically explained why I quit listening to country music. I can’t stand listening to the awards shows where they can’t seem to sing in tune. Nails on a chalkboard…

15. farmgirl1213 says:

Totally agree! I’ve learned that my music collection that wasn’t already ‘classic’ country when purchased is now referred to as ‘classic’ country. I don’t buy into the current so called country music because it’s NOT country. I now rely on classic rock and even talk radio…..I also love the fact that Internet radio gives me lots of options to seek out what I like to hear.

16. Simon Regan says:

I found a sweet app yesterday streams a red dirt country radio station from Texas. While I hate admitting something from Texas is awesome, they have much better country radio than around here. Red dirt rebel 105.3, I can now listen to country radio without punching the stereo. I thought you might like it!