Recently there has been a big stink raised online by some animal rights activists over this toy that Walmart sells.
The activists have decided to call this truck and trailer rig a “Slaughter Truck” and are all up in arms over having kids play with this toy. They are currently petitioning Walmart to remove this toy from their shelves. Of course the truth about this plastic, not real, toy model is that it’s a model of a semi and a livestock trailer, the kind of trailer that moves animals around. While the REAL version of this trailer does move animals from farms to their ultimate final destination, it also is used to move animals from Point A to B. Point B can be many places other than a slaughter house. In the fall these trailers are used to move beef cows from their summer pasture to a winter pasture closer to home and in the spring the reverse happens. Often dairy heifers that are raised on one farm, hope on this kind of trailer to move to the main farm. Piglets that have reached the correct weight to move to the bigger barns are moved on trailers just like this. This type of trailer does the exact same job as the smaller type of trailers pulled behind pickup trucks. So far animal rights activists have refrained from raising a stink over the plastic versions of the smaller trailers.
While all of this drama over a plastic toy is frustrating, it has put a great idea into motion!
Teaming up with friends in the agriculture community, we’re kicking off a campaign to collect donations and use the proceeds to purchase toys that will be donated to Toys For Tots that will help kids across the country receive toys this Christmas. We’ll be purchasing this Cattle Truck and other toys with ties to food, farming and ranching to donate to those in need for Christmas. Our goal is $5,000 and I’d love to see us reach it quickly.
Here’s how you can contribute to our Farm Toys For Tots campaign:
- Visit the Farm Toys For Tots gofundme page and donate to the campaign. $5, $10 or $25. $35 would purchase one of these cattle trucks for a child. Anything you’re willing to donate. All proceeds will be used to purchase farm-related toys that will be donated to Toys For Tots or local toy drives this Christmas season.
- Sign up to be part of our Farm Elf network HERE We’re asking friends in the farming and ranching communities to help us distribute these toys to local drives across the country. We’ll arrange to have the toys ready for pickup at your local Walmart through their in-store service.
- Spread the word. The original petition was meant to draw negative headlines. We’ll keep the focus on positive giving during the 2015 Holiday Season and spread some agriculture cheer in the process.
- Visit the Farm Toys For Tots Facebook page and use the hashtag#FarmToysForTots to let us know you’re joining.
Consider making other toy donations to help kids in your local area.
- Blog: Agriculture Proud
- Twitter: @AgProudRyan
- Instagram: AgProudRyan
- Facebook: I am Agriculture Proud