The truth about Coke, Milk and Fairlife.

February 17, 2015 by dairycarrie

image

Have you heard about fairlife milk?

A few months ago I had seen some people riled up about some ads fairlife had put out in a few sample markets showing pinup style models wearing dresses made of swirling milk. As a huge fan of pinup artists Alberto Vargas and Gil Elvgren‘s work, I didn’t see anything beyond a cute marketing idea but fairlife listened to the uproar and ditched the ads. I figured that would be the end of any controversy surrounding milk, I was wrong.

Two weeks ago, a reporter from Milwaukee called me. He wanted to know what I thought about Coca-Cola getting into the milk business. He thought that Coca-Cola being in the milk market would create competition in the dairy aisle and he wondered if fairlife would compete with regular milk sales and hurt dairy farmers.

After my chat with the reporter I started to see articles floating around the internet that seemed to be so focused on the word “Coke” that it missed entirely what fairlife really is. Last night I came across an article by a guy named Clark Wolf (The New New Coke: Milk) on LinkedIn and I knew I had to respond.

What is fairlife?

fairlife is milk. That’s the simple answer. To answer more in depth, fairlife is a milk that has been filtered in a way that allows the components of milk; fat, protein, minerals, water and lactose to be divided into it’s most basic parts. Once the milk is divided into it’s most basic parts, fairlife recombines the parts, leaving out the lactose, some of the fat and increasing the protein and nutrients.

The filtration process is not some sort of chemical process, nothing is added to the milk for it to be filtered. Filtered means just that, the milk is sent through filters to strain the different parts out. You can read more about the filtration process on the fairlife website.

If you have a big bowl of fruit salad but you take out the blueberries because someone is allergic to them, it’s still fruit salad right? fairlife is milk, end of story.

Why is Coca-Cola involved with fairlife milk?

First things first, fairlife isn’t that new. Back in 2012 the people behind fairlife had their product on some store shelves but they didn’t have the distribution that they thought their product deserved, so they began talking to Coke about a partnership. If I had a business that made a drink that I wanted to see one as many store shelves as possible, I’d talk to Coca-Cola too! Coke saw the opportunity to bring a new, innovative and healthy option to the dairy case and signed on.

Who are the people behind fairlife?

Mike and Sue McCloskey are not only the founders of fairlife, they are the owners of Fair Oaks Farms. Fair Oaks, fairlife… see the connection?

If Fair Oaks Farms sounds familiar it may be because Mike Rowe played cow midwife in an episode of Dirty Jobs there, or maybe you’ve visited their farm? With over 500,000 people stopping to visit each year, Fair Oaks Farms isn’t just any old farm, it’s a destination that connects people to how their food is created from the very start.

While Fair Oaks Farm is a very large farm, Mike and Sue and everyone there farm with absolute transparency. Random cool fact, Mike is also a veterinarian! Fair Oaks Farms is a thoroughly modern dairy farm that is constantly innovating to be the best stewards of the environment and caretakers of their cows they can be. After visiting Fair Oaks Farms for myself a couple summers ago, I can say that I have zero qualms about buying their products and because they are so open and transparent, anyone reading this can visit for themselves if they are in the area and see exactly what goes on behind the scenes of fairlife.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Is fairlife going to compete with regular milk?

In my opinion, probably not. People who are happy with their standard gallon of milk probably won’t be ditching it for a jug of fairlife. Since the lactose in fairlife milk is removed in the filtration process, it’s a great alternative for people who are lactose intolerant or are on a lower sugar diet. It’s also a great product for people who want to add protein to their diet. I think fairlife brings more options to the dairy aisle and choice is a good thing.

My best friend Johna is the perfect example of someone who should drink fairlife instead of regular milk. After struggling her entire life with her weight she made the life changing decision to undergo gastric bypass surgery a year and a half ago. After her surgery she overhauled her life and started going to the gym and lifting weights. One day she posted a photo of her fridge contents on Facebook and I was a little surprised to see cartons of Almond Breeze in her fridge. Of course I had to ask her about it and she told me that since her surgery, she had to part ways with her beloved milk because she had developed some symptoms of lactose intolerance. She needs a lactose free option that can pack the extra protein and nutrients to help fuel her body as an athlete. fairlife was practically made for her.

Just because I can! Proud of my best friend for what she has accomplished!

Just because I can! Proud of my best friend for what she has accomplished. She looks good and feels even better than she looks!

How does fairlife stack up to regular milk nutritionally?

So what’s the big difference between regular milk and fairlife? While I love me some regular milk, I have to say, what fairlife offers ounce for ounce is pretty awesome.

When you compare a serving (1 cup) of reduced fat fairlife to 2% Milk, fairlife offers 5 extra grams of protein, almost 100mg more calcium and only 6g of sugar compared to the 12g of standard milk, they have the same calorie content.

Should we gather all the fairlife and burn it at the stake?

While it may appear that there is witchcraft involved in making this product, in reality, it’s just a combination of cows, science and innovation. I think we can probably save the firewood for something more deserving.

169 thoughts on “The truth about Coke, Milk and Fairlife.

1. Brian says:

I’ve gone through several jugs of Fairlife since I found it at my local Kroger. It came in at our Walmart last week. I agree most people won’t replace their regular milk with it. It works out to over $10/gallon. I use a cup each day at breakfast and lunch to mix with my Shakeology. It’s cheaper and healthier for me to run home for lunch instead of going into town where I will definitely eat fast food.

One thing I would like to find out is where some of the things filtered out like sugar go. Does Fairlife have a byproduct they sell? Maybe it goes back in their silage fields as fertilizer. Inquiring minds want to know!

I was wondering the same thing! I’ll see what I find out!

• loel says:

I have a question. As a vegetarian I would like to know if fairlife is vegetarian because it has vitamin d3 in it usually derived by sheep wool and fish liver oil. Thanks!

• TheManFromTaco says:

Is that a trick question? Fairlife Milk is obviously a dairy product. So it is definitely not vegan. It would be okay if you are lacto-vegetarian.

• Robert Seward says:

Fairlife is 52 ounces versus 64 ounce half gallon

• Stan Erwine says:

You are a talented writer and storyteller. I love the bowl of fruit analogy. Technical can be and needs to be made simple. You excel at it. Simple, visual and memorable. I learn how to improve my writing when I read yours’. Thank you.

• Solids nonfat can go into many different products. Cheese vats , protein shakes, milk shake mix. We produce a commodity milk, but it is used as a food ingredients in a zillion different products. That is why we should have a different pricing mechanism. Not one based on the price of corn and beans.

• Lisa T. says:

Pricing of milk for the vast majority of producers is not based on the price of inputs. It is derived from average prices paid for the products made from the milk.

• Nanny says:

At one of the grocery stores here in Wisconsin I bought the (red) whole milk product and it was only $3.19 so I think it depends on the store and where you live. I just tried it on some Special K cereal and it was good. (I will be eating the cereal every other day with my Cameron Coffee non flavored coffee. I also have become somewhat lactose intolerant now as I will be 51 years old in November. So the price for me to buy the product is actually almost the same price of whole milk gallon.

• Joplyn says:

I currently work for Fair Oaks farms and I assure you if you come visit all questions will be answered and you can try the original Fair Oaks Farms milk. However if you have any specific questions and can’t come.. I can find you an answer!

• Tammy says:

Are the cows antibiotic free as well as hormone free?

• Kasey Klein says:

Milk from cows treated with antibiotics NEVER gets into any product that you buy in a store. We only use antibiotics when a cow is sick to make her better (usually mastitis, which is an infection in a quarter of an udder, or she had surgery for a twisted stomach, etc.) YOu MUST withhold the milk from your bulk tank until it tests free of all antibiotics. If you do put it in your supply, your dairy plant will reject your milk and you pay for THE ENTIRE TRUCK OF MILK THAT YOU CONTAMINATED!!! So it is in the best interest of the farmer to make sure that the milk from the cow treated with antibiotics is dumped out until she is tested free. As for hormones, the word going around to all the farms is that the bovine growth hormone rbst is on its way out and more and more milk plants are saying they won’t accept any milk from cows treated with the hormone that makes them give more milk each day. Don’t know how they are going to test for it as it is a natural occuring hormone and found in milk already. Time will tell with that one.

2. Mollie Waller says:

In a word…Perfect!

3. John Amey says:

While I have been concerned about soft drink companies getting into the dairy business, I think this if fine. While it is conventional milk, it is more expensive than organic, a product that we choose to produce. If it is clean and healthy food and there is a market for Fairlife so let it be. When the tide comes in , all boats rise together. It seems an admission by Coke that while they have a huge market following, they may not have had the best product.
    What a wonderful time to be a dairy farmer?

4. Azure James says:

While I’m not a fan of milk being changed from its natural state, it definitely doesn’t seem like there’s anything actually wrong with this product. I also would prefer the protein and lack of lactose. As far as store milk goes, it seems somewhat better since store milk has always been pasteurized etc… anyways.

5. Deb says:

Okay…now I’m convinced. I’ve been on the fence, not sure of your motivations but this seals it for me. I’m convinced you’re a paid mouthpiece for the GMA (grocers manufacturing association) or one of it’s many MANY minion companies.. Even if it’s true that this is simply “filtered milk” (which I doubt)…will Fair Oaks, or Fairlife, or Coke, bother to make sure this “filtered milk” isn’t rife with antibiotics and hormones (some of which are genetically modified)? What are the thousands of cows consuming – GMO corn/soy? Will Coca-Cola (who uses GMO high fructose corn syrup and cancer causing caramel coloring)…. care enough about the consumer to voluntarily label this product as such? Don’t bother answering….I know the answer to these questions..no and no and no. All one has to do, is know their history. It is unconscionable what is going on with the food and water (and our planet) today and you’re either part of the problem, or part of the solution. I seriously don’t know how you all look yourselves in the mirror every day

This has to be one of the most hilarious comments ever left on my blog! Thanks for the laugh Deb!

• roseann miksich says:

I am one of many who agree with Deb

• Anthony says:

Hilarious? What Big Food (including Coke) has done and continues to do to our collective health and our planet is unconscionable. Perhaps this product is not quite Frankenfood, but many, many years of poor stewardship of the land and animals at the hands of these multinational conglomerates for the sake of profit and greed is bound to create its detractors.

As for the fruit salad analogy: yes, taking a blueberry out of the bowl does not mean it is no longer a fruit salad. But using technology to suck the nutrients out and then cram some of the more fashionable elements back into a similar form means it is no longer a bluberry…its a food substance. Call it what you want. Call it good food, even (I suspect it isn’t since science has adulterated it). But Fairlife is a milk product, not Milk. For that matter, lactose free milk isnt milk, its a substance made from milk.

America does not have a food culture. No matter what science and technology brings to the supermarket, it cant be better than what nature provided in its original form. And, no, by nature I don’t mean God. I mean the natural world and millions of years of evolutionary change. Until Americans, and a growing number of cultures that are switching to the American “diet,” can distinguish between real food and science-based, food-like substances, we’ll continue to see spiking rates of metabolic syndrome in all its forms, and a weaker planet.

That all being said, say what you will about Fairlife or Kraft or Nestle dairy-derived products. They are all produced and distributed using an assembly line factory-style system that promotes quantity and efficiency over sustainability and good heatlh (for the animals, workers and consumers). Is it ever appropriate to expend gallons of fossil fuel and remove nutrients to extend shelf life just to get a half-gallon of milk 1,000 miles across the country to a Walmart megastore? Maybe this business model works for now while fossil fuel-derived energy is so cheap. In short order, however, this whole government subsidized food system is going to break down once we run out of dead dinosaurs to feed our cows and ship our milk- like substances across the planet.

I hope this isnt the MOST hilarious comment you’ve ever read, Carrie. It’s too bad we’ve all become so desensitized to our assembly line method of agriculture (read: agribusiness) to realize that none of this is normal.

• Sgt. says:

The nature made it that way and therefor its better argument is bro science not real science. Yes the way we grow and produce food etc is sad the chemicals we use in manufacturing etc the fact you need to pay extra for natural food is rediculious. The point is idiots like you make everyone like me laugh at your tinfoil hats your liberal protests and your ever out reaching hand looking for something for nothing take off the multi colored sweater the lead free chasity belt grab your balls and speak like a real person listen to facts (those aren’t on the news) until then go burry your head in the sand and continue to waste away smoking all the legal pot you can handle.

• Tiffany says:

If you had a young son that could only consume limited sugar, you might realize there is a market for this product. I already add 6 oz water to two ounces of milk and love that I now have an option to further reduce his sugar consumption while allowing him to drink his favorite drink. This is why we as consumers have so many choices out there. You are always welcome to milk your own cow and drink that. My aunt still does this on her country farm today. We should make informed choices for ourselves and our families, not others.

• Bruce says:

Note to Deb. “Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up!”

• Sue McCloskey says:

Hi Deb,

First off, if you read the Carrie’s article this milk is not made by Coke. Let me say that again a little slower. T h i s m i l k i s n o t m a d e b y C o k e. Ok, hopefully you got that. Now, the next point, it is made by real-live, non-GMO, American dairy farmers. If you have a fight to pick with Coke about soda, go have that conversation somewhere else.

Second, you really need to go visit a farmer and have a face-to-face discussion about antibiotics and hormones because obviously ingesting all the factual information out there about how diligent dairy farmers are and how safe milk is to drink is not working for you. If you’d like to visit a farm but be incognito, Fair Oaks Farms was made for you. You can slip in with a group of school kids or join up with a random family. Come on down!

And, third, if you are clairvoyant enough to know all those answers, would you be a dear and tell me the next Powerball combo? Much appreciated.

• Trena says:

Sue, I just bought my first bottle at my Kroger near Spring Hill, TN. I haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but am looking forward to it. The only reason that I came across it is because of this darn weather we’re having. I had to go back to the regular milk cooler to get something. I am an avid Googler and made a point to look up the back story on this product as soon as I got home. I read a “scary, I don’t trust this product” blog first, then the material on the Coke website which should contain a link to Fair Oaks, and then I came across this excellent article. Having come from an Indiana farming background and then working for the State of Indiana with farmers marketing directly to the public, I applaud you and your husband for what you have accomplished. Everyone making the I-65 trek between Chicago and Indianapolis should make a point to stop at Fair Oaks and learn about the business before criticizing it. Thank you.

• Sue McCloskey says:

Thanks, Trena, for being a proactive, informed consumer. And, I’m honored by your kind words. As a few commentators have said, this milk might not be for everyone but at least it’s adding some variety to the dairy case that’s real milk! And, btw, if your drinking Kroger brand milk in Tennessee then your drinking our milk,which I am equally proud of for its quality, nutrition and taste!

• Josh Pruss says:

LIKE!

• Terry says:

Sue,
        it’s great to see you in here taking part in the discussion. I understood from the first 5 minutes of web search that Coke is not the producer. But I choke up a bit when you tell me it’s made by “real-live, non-GMO, American dairy farmers.” Are you really non-GMO? I must’ve missed that part on your label. Who makes your certifications? I’m not going to get into the grass vs. grain debate, but I would like to know who grows the grains for the 100% grain/soy/corn diet of your girls? All non-GMO?
        Now, let me admit something. I have corralled a few heads, tagged a few ears, sprayed the purple juice in their eyes for pink-eye and zapped them in the haunch with a bit fat dose of Ivermectin, WHEN THEY WERE’NT SICK!!! All that was on a small mid-west family farm, back in the 80’s. And yes, I have been knee-deep in a few large scale facilities (can’t call them farms with that level of industrial “assembly line” style production.)
        The point, Sue, is that I wish you and all the American farmers the absolute best. I do hope things work out for you and your family. I really, really hope you sell the whole thing to Coke and let them own it outright, because this crosses the line from healthy and wholesome into ULTRA PROCESSED, lightly-veiled GMO super-production milk-like beverage, and you don’t appear to me to be offering a farm product anymore. You are creating something entirely different and should be named “milk-based product” or simply “made from real milk.”
        That’s just my $0.02. I will register my consumer votes ($) elsewhere. If anyone is interested and thinks that being in business with Coke is OK, please do some more research into the dealings of Coke, Pepsi and the GMA.

• Sue McCloskey says:

Hi Terry,

The email immediately after the notification that I got from your response was this;

“I’m 61 years old, born & raised in the dairy state (Wisconsin), a lover of all things dairy, and also a Type II diabetic.

I recently discovered your ultra-filtered fat free milk and cannot thank you enough for introducing this product. As a diabetic, every bit of sugar in my diet must be counted, as do fats. And, while I don’t have any issues with lactose, I am at the age when this can start. I’ve always loved milk, but because of the concerns I just mentioned, I drank it in limited amounts.

I bought the first bottle with trepidation, thinking it will taste terrible. In fact, it tastes richer than regular 2% milk and is delicious!!

Now, I can drink milk with my meals and I thank you sincerely!

Keep bringing us the good stuff!”

Weekly, I receive emails such as this from people who have moved away from drinking milk for one reason or another. The fact that we figured out a way to make a milk (and, yes, by golly, it is “milk”) for these types of people to enjoy is something that let’s me sleep at night.

As far as progress in our industry goes, I’m married to one of the most progressive thinkers out there who happens to be an awarded alumni from UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. He’s turned down more recognition than I can remember and has been a trusted vet for dozens and dozens of dairy families before becoming a full time dairy farmer. On our own farms, we have always pushed the envelope in cow care and environmental sustainability, even before “sustainability” was the new black.

You’re entitled to your own opinions and actions regarding what you believe or not and what you will buy or not but, please, don’t insult me, my family, and my peers by insinuating because I’m a big farm that I’m not a farmer who cares about her animals, her land and her industry. That “milk like beverage” was literally born at my kitchen table almost 20 years ago because we saw that there was a gap that needed to be filled amongst the gallon jugs.

And, as far as the GMO comment… that was a jest-ful phrasing. I, as a human, cannot be a GMO, but, I’ll have my burrito with some extra GMO, please!

• Cowrazy says:

It is nice to know that you have all the answers to your questions. Where would diabetics be without the GMO technology?

• dwpbike says:

thank you for your comment. if they aren’t filtering antibiotics, why would you pay more?

• Kasey Klein says:

you CAN’T filter out antibiotics, that is why they NEVER are allowed in the product to begin with!!! EVERY dairy, cheese, etc. plant that has milk delivered by milk truck tests EVERY truck before it is unloaded into their milk silos. If there are antibiotics in that load, they test the samples from each farm that truck picked up at and that farmer is charged the price OF THE ENTIRE TRUCKLOAD OF MILK!!! So we as farmers, send a sample to our plant for each cow treated with antibiotics (which is only when they need it to make them better, just like humans, you wouldn’t let your child die if an antibiotic would make them better, we treat our cows the same) to the plant to test if she is free of antibiotics before re-entering her milk into the bulk tank. I wish people would get this into their thick skulls!!!

• Bill says:

The arrogance of your self righteousness is quite off putting, Deb.

In this complex new world, I trust American business far more than the lunatic fringe.

Finally, Deb, I like Fairlife. Being lactose intolerant, i handle it very well. And it tastes great, even the nonfat version.

Let me decide.

• steve says:

Deb, you are right on here.

• Daniel says:

“I’m convinced you’re being paid … because … unsubstantiated hypotheticals?” P.s. if you’re such a fan of the naturalistic fallacy, I suggest you abandon milk and just drink blended poison ivy.

• CAnn sorrell says:

First off Deb I am in NO WAY a ‘minion or minion company’ for Fairlife. I just simply love the taste of this milk. It takes me back to my childhood days (50+ yrs) when my uncle ( a dairy master ) brought home a gallon each evening after the filtering process that readied it for consumer consumption. The flavor rememberance was resurrected when I tried Fairlife the first time!!! I am a Type ll diabetic so an even better reason to love it as I do LOVE my moo juice. So for all you undecided’s out there this milk has some ‘YUM’ factor and is also better for you. Enuff said…;)

CAnn

6. Roger Losey says:

It’s late at night and have to get up in a few hours to cover for my drunk hired hand, who should be drinking this product instead. I’m not going to get into a lot of detail with my thoughts but wanted to say a couple things. First, I think this is a great product and glad it is hitting the shelves like it is, and with coke distributing it is OK with me. I also do not see how it would be in any competition with regular milk on the shelves based on the price alone. However, I’m wondering who thought of the marketing ideas written on its label? I do have a couple issues with it. Of course they are trying to sell their product, but labeling it in bold letters that the cows were not given rBST only reinforces the fallacies that consumers have about rBST and what they think is wrong with it. As the farmer knows, this is total bullshit (only as a figure of speech). Another thing on the label is that it is 38 percent less fat than whole milk. It says right on the top of the label that it is 2 percent milk. …duh? It also says contains vitamin A and D. Okay, I’ll go along with that….so does regular milk but I agree on labeling that way. Did coke have any say on the labeling? I was somewhat disappointed but all in all, probably a good thing for the consumer to know another choice of milk is healthy. ..

7. Angie says:

We do believe that if our milk wasn’t ‘changed’ from the wholesome product our cows produce, consumers would be happy and a new product wouldn’t be needed. That being said, we welcome ‘fairlife’ to the grocery shelves.

8. Joanna says:

Well done, Carrie. Thanks for the information. I hadn’t really paid too much attention until those ads, either. I think innovation is badly needed in the conventional fluid milk market, and am looking forward to see where this is headed.

9. Darcy says:

Great post! I haven’t heard of this product yet, but it’s always good to see a healthy milk product on the shelves for consumers to be able to purchase. 🙂

10. Tami Smith says:

Great article Carrie! This is definitely a timely topic. I agree that anyone who has questions about where Fairlife comes from should visit Fair Oaks Farm. Ignorance is no excuse to condemn a product or an industry. Seek out both sides of a conversation before setting your path in life. Fair Oaks Farm is a great place to start. That being said, I tried both the chocolate and white options of Fairlife last time I was traveling through MI (it hasn’t made it to PA yet) and thought it was a great tasting product that I categorized as a value added milk product. When you look at the store shelf, it doesn’t compete with regular milk based on price and the nutritional content. My thought after reading the packaging was this great for after a workout or for someone who is lactose intolerant. While I will continue to stick with my regular milk I am glad for a new dairy option that will be a great fit for more people!

• Heidi says:

We have been purchasing Fairlife for about a month now at Target in PA. I have not found it anywhere else (Wegmans, Weis, etc). To us, it is not a substitute for our normal milk purchase, but an add on beverage. I think it is wonderful that we are finally getting a real value added product in fluid milk that tastes great. (In a perfect world, the rBST claim would be gone.) Now where are the flavored creamers that are actually dairy?

11. Ron G says:

What does from grass to glass mean on the chocolate jug I purchased? Chocolate milk tastes pretty good 12 grams of sugar they add artificial sweeter called SUCRALOSE. Google that word and tell me what u think.

12. Carl Baumann says:

Carl B.
    Well done Carrie! The dairy industry needs innovation, thanks to Mike and Sue!! Do the nay-sayers really know the contents of milk as it comes from the cow? Butter fat 3.6% , not 1/2 or 2 or 3.25 %. Develop a product that tastes good and is good for the consumer. Innovation creates a great product for a specific market and as the tide comes in all boats afloat will rise. FIRST CLASS

13. thekaylaross says:

I was excited when I recently heard about this product and I’m even more excited now. I’m also looking to loose a significant amount of weight but I refuse to go against my roots and beliefs and buy these foods that are hyped up in what they are and in price. I was needing to do some more research on this, but you did it for me. Thank you. Looks like I will be looking to try this for myself, but we will still keep a gallon of the whole milk right next to it. Sometimes I won’t cook if I don’t have whole milk and its my husbands favorite. Thank you again, I look forward to spreading this story.

14. Ken Conrad says:

Those involved in developing and promoting the Fairlife product suggest in the following Hoards Dairyman article that they are reinventing fluid milk in order to reinvent themselves. http://www.hoards.com/T14nov-fluid-milk-not-tapped-out

They’re not reinventing themselves! It’s more like they are reinforcing their longstanding distorted, corrupt, twisted and depraved marketing philosophy. And they intend to do this not by reinventing fluid milk but rather, by continuing with the prevailing practice to pervert it.

“Fairlife”!!! It sounds to me that it should be called “Basterdizedlife”

15. my2cents says:

just give me good unadulterated whole milk, thank you

16. Susan says:

Thanks for a very informative article to a food scientist who is a new consumer of Fairlife chocolate milk. I found however, that I was initially attracted to it because of the lower sugar aspect. I love chocolate milk, but the amount of sugar just made it seem to indulgent (even though I exercise 5-6 days a week).
    I convinced myself it was a better version of chocolate milk as a recovery drink, but if the key to the exercise recovery was the sugar to protein ratio (3:1 or 4:1), then maybe Fairlife chocolate milk can’t stand alone as a recovery drink (sugar/protein is closer to 1:1), but should be consumed with another carbohydrate source (e.g., fruit). I wonder how many people fell into that same trap?

• Sue McCloskey says:

Susan, that’s a good point about recovery drink ratios. However, carbohydrates, as you well know, are the easiest source of nutrition to find. And, there’s healthier ways to get carbs than the simple sugars in chocolate milk.

• lucy says:

Are the cows grass fed or grain fed?

While I can’t speak exactly to what they feed the cows at Fair Oaks, I do know that they receive feed that is formulated by a dairy nutritionist. The diet contains both forages and some grain. We feed a diet that’s pretty similar to many other dairy farms. I wrote about our cow feed and had several other dairy farmers from around the country share what they feed as well, you can read that post here- http://dairycarrie.com/2013/12/20/what-do-cows-eat/

17. Janet says:

Coca Cola should be ashamed of itself.

Your comment tells me you didn’t actually read the post.

• Bo kenney says:

Carrie , what is the amount of potassium in this product per 8 oz . I love all the products from Fairlife . My whole family uses core power 26 as well as the 2% milk

Thanks
        Bo

I don’t know Bo, I’d look on the label but I’m currently all out.

• Mandy says:

I too am wondering what the potassium content is. It doesn’t tell you on the label.

I love this milk and it’s been pretty much all we buy, but I need the potassium so hopefully that didn’t get removed in the filtering process.

• Sue McCloskey says:

Hi Mandy, Sue McCloskey from fairlife, here. I checked with our Chief Scientist, Shakeel, and he said that a glass of fairlife has just a bit more potassium than a glass of regular milk. We don’t want to concentrate the potassium like we do the calcium as more potassium gives a bitter flavor. Hope that answers your question and thanks for being a fan!

18. Susan salisbury says:

I love love love the chocolate milk. I was looking for a lower carb chocolate milk. This one is very creamy and delicious. Tastes better than Altadena’s True Moo and lower carb. It is my go to chocolate treat. My only complaint– my local Winco store is sold out!

19. Dave says:

Hey I just want to say that I bought this today, and I wish I would have read your post first. I feel completely lied to, misled, duped, and angry. What does “From Grass to Glass” mean to you? Any reasonable person intereprets this to mean that the cows have access to pasture. But they don’t, if you’re right, and if they did, they’d feature this on their website, which they don’t. I’m working on figuring out who to complain to/sue. I don’t like being duped, I don’t like being tricked.

• jill says:

Really that is what I’ve been wondering too. Wondering if the cows are walking on grass? or seeing the light of day?

20. In late to the game, but.. Being 35 weeks pregnant and one who usually does not drink milk (lactose intolerant) unless I’m dunking cookies in it.. I bought this milk because I needed the calcium. I’m normally vitamin d deficient and have to take supplements. I don’t want to do this with baby.
    With this pregnancy I can’t
    eat meat. Makes me queasy.. Can’t drink regular milk… Makes me have stomach cramps..
    With all that said this milk is so tasty! I really like it.
    I like it has the protein I’m missing and missing the lactate I don’t want.
    As long as the cows are happy then I’m happy. 🙂

I totally understand! I’m 19 weeks and dairy has been good to me!

• Kit says:

The problem is the cows aren’t happy, they’re not a good farm. Also you should just drink calcium enriched Lactaid brand instead of this junk… Just my opinion.

I’m curious as to why you think Fair Oaks isn’t a good farm? I’ve been there and was thoroughly impressed with how they care for their girls.

• Sue McCloskey says:

Hmmm, Kit. I wonder if you’ve ever tried fairlife. It sure tastes better than Lactaid! Also, since I’m one of the owners of Fair Oaks Farms, I wonder if you’ve ever been down to visit? If you haven’t I would love to personally show you around so that you can see how well taken care of our girls are.

• Kit says:

Alas, my wheelchair and I are not very “farm friendly”. I appreciate the offer, all the same. But, personally, I find the perpetual penning of animals to be absolutely inhumane. My family doesn’t do it, we have pastures, and I would say the same to any turkey/chicken/dairy farmer who keeps their animals in such a manner. -Shrug.-

• Sue McCloskey says:

Kit, you’ll be glad to know that Fair Oaks Farms welcomes all, including wheelchair-bound friends. Our buses and facilities are all handicap compliant so you wouldn’t miss one beat of the experience! So if you can make it into your own vehicle, you can make it here (assuming you’re not halfway across the country!). The offer still stands.

As to your family owning a dairy farm, that’s great! So then you understand that what cows really want, what really makes them “happy”, is feeling safe and comfortable in their environment and not stressing about where they will get their next meal or drink of water. That is something that we definitely provide at our big, family farm with feed available 24 hours/day, clean nearby drinking fountains and soft sand beds.

You know, what’s interesting, and something that my husband and I talk a lot about, is that we actually started out with a very successful dairy veterinary practice and a 300 cow dairy. We were very good at both things but enjoyed dairying far more. So we sold the vet practice and concentrated on our farms, and like a lot of people who are good at what they do and willing to take on risk, we grew. From 300 to 1000, from 1000 to 5000, from 5000 to 15,000. Over the course of 20 years we grew our business because we wanted to and were able to figure out better ways to farm and take care of our cows. But the thing that has never wavered or changed is our core values; being good stewards of the land, caring about the comfort and well being of our cows, treating our employees fairly and respectfully and providing a safe, nutritious and affordable product for the families of our country. So, it’s funny that somewhere along the line we went from being “good” “small” dairy farmers to “bad” “big”, “corporate”, “factory” dairy farmers based solely on the number of cows that we milk. Talk about stereotyping!

Like a few people have commented, and I’m sure that your family would agree, if your cows are not content, if you haven’t taken care of their needs then you will not be a successful farmer, both morally and financially. I have seen dairy farmers who have not taken care of their cows and ultimately their businesses fail. Not taking care of the environment you farm, the people you employ and the cows that work so diligently for you is simply not sustainable.

I’d love to know more about your family’s farm. Are you an organic farm? If not the what percentage of your dry matter feed comes from your pastures? I’m sure that you provide some type of shelter from the elements (sun in the South, wind and snow in the North).One of our dairies is organic (800 cows) so it’s very interesting for us to see the operational differences. It does make it easier to dairy organically by having conventional farms nearby to take the cows that need conventional medical treatment (those cows, obviously, never go back to the organic farm).

Anyway, I still hope that you could make the trip down to Fair Oaks Farms where I will be glad to personally take you and your family around. I’ve found that all dairy farmers have more in common than difference and we are all supportive of each other. We might have different ways of farming but our end goal is the same; comfortable, content cows, sustainable farming, fair treatment of our employees and producing a safe, affordable, nutrition packed food for the 98%.

• Kit says:

I completely understand what you mean, people DO tend to assume that big and corporate are inherently bad, and on one hand I can understand why, a lot of people get burned by such things. But, obviously such things are not mutually exclusive. And I think its great that you guys care so much about your employees and cows alike, and I don’t doubt the truth of that in the slightest. Its just my personal belief that being locked up is really sad. I’m not trying to tell anyone what to do, really. I’m just expressing that I feel its healthier and happier for animals (and people!) to get some sunshine on their backs and grass under their feet. Again, this is my personal belief, and I admit I’m rather adamant about it. I also know that there are definitely pros and cons to outdoor pastures, but I also feel that a lot of the cons can be mitigated by proper planning and care. Its wonderful that you guys were able to grow that way, and I think the word factory is considered such a “dirty” word, but it really isn’t. Automating the milking process, for example, is the best thing a lot of farms have done.

Unfortunately with the current state of farm subsidies I think we can all agree that organic farming is a bitch and a half, and as much as I enjoy the idea of organic, the reality of it isn’t what most people think, or so I’ve found. (I won’t even get into my complaints about lax FDA regulations and misleading labeling) so no, we are not. And yes, there are absolutely shelters, but I guess I consider what we do a healthy mix of natural versus factory? I wonder if that’s the best way to describe it, maybe, maybe not. So the cows can wander, and graze, but we still have feed troughs (Am I the only one who loves the smell of alfalfa? My sister hates it.) as well and we utilize an adorably small rotary milking parlor.

• Roger Losey says:

I was just talking to someone about this very subject. People often say that “factory farms” mistreat their cows, maybe due to radical animal rights you tube videos. The truth is exactly opposite. Large farms put more money into the facilities to make their cows more healthy, comfortable and happy. They know the value of this and have the means to do it. People say this without even being on a farm, a real farm. I have never seen and never will see, unless the plan on going bankrupt, a large farm where the cows are not properly fed nutritionally and properly taken care of.

• Kit says:

Or let outside… -_-;

• Roger Losey says:

Someone who is around livestock knows animal behavior and what makes them content and happy. Can you honestly say that you have been on a large farm and the animals were not properly taken care of. Large farm have Nutritionists, and know that the better the animals are taken care of and healthier they are, the more quantity and quality the product. I have to assume you are a vegetarian and you assume all livestock are mistreated due to them being food animals. Is this how you feel? The philosophy of dairy producers are to invest in the animals well being and the return of investment is a better product and more of it. The happier the animal, the better it benefits the farmer. What experience do you have in the livestock industry? Specifically the dairy industry? Have you walked through a “factory farm” and said the cows were not happy, not chewing their cud, depressed, ears drooped, etc. What makes you happy is what you are used to and is a human emotion. You apparently don’t know animal behavior and what makes them happy. I challenge you to take the owner of Fair Oaks up on his offer and tour his cows. Also talk to farmers, like myself, veterinarians, and people who know more than you and people directly in the industry before forming an opinion. A smart person would. ..

• Kit says:

Uhm, I hope you’re joking. Assuming someone is a vegetarian because they believe in humane practices is absolutely silly, at best, and fucking stupid, at worst. Also, despite the fact that it has nothing to do with this discussion and is none of you business, yes, I eat meat. But, again, we’re talking about DAIRY cows. I know that seems to be confusing you, but these are the ones we get milk and cheese and yogurt from… not steaks. My family owns a dairy farm, again, not that its any of your business. So if you’d care to move past your ignorant assumptions (and yes, I did pick up on the implied insults, I’m ignoring them) then we can maybe have rational discourse. If not, please go away. And, if I wasn’t in a wheelchair these days, I’d be happy to tour the farm. I can’t, though, and I don’t need to. Others already have checked out this story and confirmed that its a true factory farm. I find it disgraceful that someone can keep animals like that. They need to be able to go outside at least sometimes. Hell the pound keeps their dogs better. They go for walks and run outside, every animal is meant to be able to roam. I’m not against the factory processing, its efficient and it makes sense, but penning animals indoors perpetually is NOT humane, and it shouldn’t be done. A smart person would know that.

• Roger Losey says:

Now I see where your bitterness is coming from. Most people who are totally ignorant of animal behavior are radical animal rights people with an agenda and yet has no knowledge of livestock and who has never been on a farm. They don’t talk to many farmers or veterinarians or people directly in the industry yet they think they know what is best. There’s no reason to show anger or use profanity as you just did. You day you want a rational discussion yet from your first post you obviously did not wish for this to happen. What do you expect? You also keep using the fact you are in a wheelchair as a way out. I’m sorry that you are, but guess what? If you can wheel yourself out the front door of your home, you can go on some tours of farms and see that the cows are happy and content for yourself. How can a smart person say something as if they know what they are taking about without seeing it for themselves or talking to farmers and people in the industry. I’m not talking about communication with just one or two people. You need to get a feel of what is normal and talk to many people. It seems that you are an expert yet you have never seen these cows for yourself in order to say they are not happy. ..some people,like yourself, are already set in your opinion without concrete knowledge of what you ate talking about. Quit using the excuse you are in a wheelchair and go see it for yourself. I am sure the owner of Fair Oaks will accommodate you and i am sure that many many many handicap people go through the farm and are able to see it. I’m done wasting by breathe on someone who is closed minded and is unwilling to see this for yourself.

• Kit says:

Lmao, what? I’m not angry. Profanity is part of language, get used to it. <3

Also, its not a "way out". I'm just explaining why I can't do something. Its just a fact, don't get it confused. And you say "keep using" when it was mentioned, once. How about not dwelling on things that aren't relevant, again, please. It has nothing to do with this at all, and frankly I don't really appreciate it being used the way you are. My disability is none of your business, and isn't up for discussion.

Oh, and its breath, just so you know. I used to do that all the time, myself.

Anyway its clear you're deviating from the topic at hand any way you can, so… I'm done. I offered you a chance to discuss it, you've clearly decided not to accept that. So, have a lovely day! 🙂

• Roger Losey says:

In order to get at the heart of your bitterness toward something you refuse to see for yourself, you brought up your handicap. You are able to see that you are wrong if you would just go see it. You would not be able to say the cows are unhappy if you did. The environment they are in has a lot of investment in order to insure they are happy. That is the philosophy of almost every dairy farmer. It’s a win win for the animal and the farmer. Again, go see it for yourself. But I guess you are the expert. …

• Kit says:

Please don’t try and twist my words, thank you!

21. Adam says:

My question is how does it stay good for so much longer than regular milk? I bought a jug of Fairlife in early April and the best by date is October 22.

22. Rachel says:

I did replace my regular organic whole milk with fairlife when offered a sample while headed down the milk aisle. It is very tasty, and while not lactose intolerant, I do watch my overall sugar intake and drink ton of milk in my numerous cups of hot tea daily.
    Why not switch to a milk that packs more nutrition for the calories?

23. Anne says:

I’m a high protein – low carb person. I often use chocolate milk in my post workout fruit smoothies. Bought the Fairlife chocolate the other day and it is perfect for me. I will buy the reduced fat white milk tomorrow. Protein powders are too expensive for me, but this I can handle. Did I mention it taste great?

24. Laura says:

Are your cows given hormones and antibiotics? We only drink milk that is free of those. Willing to try yours if they are free of those drugs.

• Sue McCloskey says:

Hi Laura, this is Sue McCloskey of fairlife. To answer your question, I think I need to start by telling you that all the milk that is sold to make all of our favorite dairy products is antibiotic-free. Milk goes through multiple antibiotic residue testing all the way down to one part per billion. The farmer tests before it is ever put in a milk truck, the milk truck driver tests it before it gets loaded into the truck and the milk plant tests it before it ever gets transferred into their silos to be made into bottled milk, cheese, ice cream, cottage cheese, etc..
      But what I think that you are trying to ask is whether we use antibiotics on our cows. And to answer that question I would tell you yes and no. Yes, we do use antibiotics to treat a cow when she has an illness or an infection. Just like you would give your child or your pet the proper treatment that they need so they don’t unnecessarily suffer, we do so for our cows. However, as long as they are receiving antibiotics and then for the prescribed withdrawal time (the amount of time it takes for the antibiotic to completely pass through her system) our cows who are being treated have their milk segregated from the milk that leaves our dairies for the public’s consumption.
      And, no, (and I’m speaking on behalf of all dairy farmers here) we do not give our cows preventative daily doses of antibiotics as I think you are asking.
      Again, just as you wouldn’t randomly use antibiotics on your loved ones, we as farmers take that responsibility very seriously. It would not only be a disservice to the public but to our cows in particular and one of our highest priorities is to keep our girls comfortable, healthy and happy!

• Roger Losey says:

Amen….very well said sue. This is an aspect that many people do not understand. They hear the word “organic” and assume that is the best product when it actually isn’t. Companies such as chipolte are jumping on the consumer scare bandwagon for their own profits rather than telling the truth and relying on science, rather than emotional consumer misconceptions and scare tactics. A lot of people can’t grasp the testing of parts per billion and the extreme penalties of the farmer for a violation. The farmer doesn’t even take a chance of sending contaminated milk or risk fines and being shut off from production. I’m glad this was explained, as you just did. We care for our animals deeply and want to get them better when becoming ill yet this milk is dumped down the drain until all medicine is out of her system. Preventative care with proper nutrition and the least stress as possible is always the best medicine, however animals can get sick just as you or I…

• JenT says:

I’m happy to hear responsible use of antibiotics. I steer away from businesses who use them for prevention. This was the last question I had before trying Fairlife for my family!

• Gail says:

What about the calves? Do you starve them and not allow them to nurse? As to not take from your supply to sell? Turn them into veal or cheap meat? And yes I’ve seen videos and documentaries. It sure isn’t pretty.

Hi Gail,
          One of the things that frustrates me the most as a dairy farmer is all the misinformation and outright lies that I see from animal rights groups about how dairy calves are treated. It frustrates me enough that several years ago I wrote a post that shows step by step how we care for our calves and why we do each thing along the way. Please take a moment to read this post, I think you’ll find it to be very interesting.

25. Aaron poyner says:

This milk will replace the Organic milk I would buy occasionally.
    Organic milk ~ $7 / gallon
    Fairlife ~ 10/ gallon

Organic milk is 50/50 on if that particular batch will trigger my lactose intolerance.
    Fairlife is 100% safe so face. I drink it by the jug where with organic I still only had a cup here or there.

If you are on the fence about trying it, I love it and have a happy tummy! I don’t have to miss milk anymore. Now if Coke can develop Iodine free Shrimp life will be great again! (another late life allergy development).

• Robert Seward says:

I buy Fairlife for $3.99 in a “half-galllon-looking” container that is actually 52 OZ! Would compute out to be $9.82 per gallon. I like the long “shelf life” dates so I can buy several without worrying about “turning towards sour”.

26. Dannielle Root says:

I too have a lactose intolerance so I have been enjoying fairlife milk. I noticed today,5-29-2015 that my fairlife milk will not expire until August 13 2015. How is that possible?

27. Elaine says:

Thank you for this article. I first purchased Fairlife a month ago and now buy it exclusively. Fairlife milk has such a clean, fresh taste. I prefer Fairlife to every brand of milk I’ve tried, including organics.

28. Corinne says:

If your cows are eating a diet of GMO corn, soy, and wheat (over 90% of which is, unless it is organic or GMO free) and not able to roam in fresh air and eat grass like nature intended, then this is frankenmilk period. More than 60 countries have banned genetically modified/engineered products as it is slowly wreaking havoc on all of nature. Just because it tastes good and is FDA and/or EPA approved doesn’t mean it’s good for you 🙁 Sorry, not buying into this.

To each their own but you should probably know that there is no GMO wheat commercially available for farmers to grow.

29. Thelma Zamora-Addeo. says:

I saw the ad/ in the Chew/ABC today 6-4-2015. I was impress, I love cows and dairy prod/(lactose-free/low-fat and high Protein.). Your girls look very happy, and farm and facilities very good. I get into the Web I have the information, I will try your product.and I am so happy does not come from China or out from USA. Good and best wishes for this healthy USA dairy product.

I personally don’t have anything to do with Fairlife, I just wrote about their product because I think it’s great!

30. GBB says:

Interesting article, but I have to ask: did you receive any money from anyone to write this piece?

31. sg says:

Wow! Thanks Carrie for the great article and a big thanks to Ms. McCloskey for representing the company and answering questions with complete transparency.

I typically purchase milk produced by a local farm that utilizes glass bottles for packaging, to support my local economy and for the amazing fresh taste. My only issue is remembering to take the empty bottles back to the store for the $2 deposit return! 🙂 Anyway, I picked up a bottle of fairlife for a comparable 1/2 gallon price to my usual brand and I love it!

After taking another look at the packaging, I did have a couple of questions so I decided to look up the company for clarification. I read the whole fairlife site and then found this article, and I’m so glad I did. I wanted to know what was considered “ordinary milk” as noted on the label, was it ordinary 2% milk? Or are those stats the same between all the fairlife products? Similarly, I was also wondering why the 2% label says “38% less fat than whole milk” right on the front? I don’t care how it compares to whole milk, I want to know how it compares to the actual product? Apples-to-apples, ya know…?

Obviously I didn’t dig into the product details until I got home and downed a big glass, so it’s not really a big issue with me, but as a designer/marketer these things jumped right out. I also think there is a huge missed opportunity with not including benefit that it’s lactose-free right on the front. I had absolutely no idea until looked at the back of the bottle. I understand that the marketing strategy should be focused on that it’s “real milk” but why not include that it also happens to be another option for the lactose intolerant right from the start? That’s just my 2¢ on the 2%.

Now, aside from my questions/critique, I really do love fairlife for its taste and clear farming practices and look forward to buying it again and again (when my yummy local Shatto milk isn’t available) in support of my local Midwest economy.

Great job on the article and for all the in-depth positive explanations to squash the troll comments. There’s always a few. 😉

32. Kate says:

I love dairy products, milk, yogurt, cheese, you name it! So I was curious to try fairlife. I had an immediate (within minutes) and uncomfortable mild allergic reaction to the milk. My lips and throat swelled and my tummy bloated, which lasted hours and many cups of water. I get this reaction commonly with overly processed poultry and 90% of chicken, often with hives (so I just avoid it all to stave off a chance of a full-blown reaction). Any ideas out there what may cause this?

33. Kathleen M Moniz says:

I was brought up on milk. I love milk !! My son loved milk as a kid and still does to this day. When we would take him to Mc Donald’s he would get the happy meal with milk. Friends and their kids all had soda…….not my son. As it became important to watch fat and calories, I could not stand fat free milk so i settled for 2% some times i drank 1% if i was trying to loose weight. Then Hood came out with Simply Smart and Garilick had Over The Moon . These had good tasting fat free that i liked…….Until Fair Life came along. I found about it on a tv commercial……..at first it was hard to find . Now it’s everywhere the fat free is amazing !!!!! It is so rich and creamy it’s tastier than whole milk. The other day my husband bought 2% by mistake…….OMG it tasted better than any whole milk ever thought of tasting. I’m sold !!! We will never change to any other milk. I believe in the way you raise you cows and the process you use. I love the extra protein and calcium. Please don’t change a thing !!!! Thank You !!!!!

34. K says:

Love this milk. Has a wonderful clean taste and I get more milk with less of the “bad stuff”
    Of course I did my research first and it was easy to spot the haters and fanatics and dismiss them.
    I hope the milk takes off and is a success because I like options. Lactaid is horrible, almond milk is not milk… Fairlife is right for many of us.
    No one is making you drink it. Many of us want options.
    The organic Nazis are really desperate to find fault where there is none. Live and let live.
    I’ll continue to enjoy my iced latte made with Fairlife since I discovered it in February.
    Thanks

35. Sarah says:

Hi Carrie!

I love how you broke this article down! I haven’t tried fairlife, but it certainly sounds like something I should. I visited Fair Oak Farms last summer and love how they are combing consumer education, agritourism, and so much more! I also like how you highlighted the fact that “big” companies aren’t always bad–they have the resources to help smaller companies flourish!

Thanks and I look forward to following you!
    ~Sarah

36. LB says:

I was surprised and thrilled to find Fairlife was a lactose-free option (for less than $4/half gallon where we are) as the packaging isn’t labeled as such (but I read all ingredient labels). I was looking for options after Organic Valley Lactose free milk went from less than $4/half gallon to almost $6 at Whole Foods (literally over-night). My kids don’t like the taste of the lactase-added varieties of lactose-free milk. The extra protein is helpful, given we are otherwise vegetarian.
    I was concerned about the big-industry link, but this post is completely reassuring! We look forward to visiting the farm the next time we pass through that area of the country.
    Thanks for being a company I can feel good about buying from!

37. nicole says:

Does the extra filtration help to remove the potential puss and blood that people keep telling me is in milk? Or is that not even an issue on their farm since they have better practices? Thank you

38. CarlL says:

All I can say I love Fairlife Milk and spend over 100.00 a week on it. The low fat is very good and the chocolate is the best in the industry. You try this stuff once you will never go back. This is catching on nicely in San Diego, CA. Thank you for bring this incredible milk to our community.

One question. I mix half cup of fat free with a cop of the chocolate milk to help bring down the calories and i do this 4-5 times a day. Am i consuming too much milk? I hated milk until this product came out so I making up for lost time.

• Sue McCloskey says:

Hey CarlL, In my opinion, you can never have too much milk. We all know that 3 servings a day is what’s recommended but depending upon your activity level, adult males need around 56 grams of protein daily. 5 glasses of fairlife would provide you 60 grams plus all the other vitamins and minerals that go along…. so you’re in good shape!
      We at fairlife are so glad that you’ve come back to milk!

39. LivingMCM says:

Looking at online discussions lately, I really don’t understand why everybody is *suddenly* in this big tizzy over the concept of milk that’s been filtered for lower sugar and higher protein .

Lucerne (Safeway) rolled out a product that is almost exactly the same TWO YEARS AGO, and I don’t recall anybody ever making such a big stink about it!

Is it just because this new product is from a high-profile company like Coca Cola, and it’s hip to vilify such companies, or what??

40. Jen says:

Thanks for the informative article. I picked up a bottle of Fiarlife Whole milk this week, because they were out of the Alta Dena milk that I usually purchase. I looked at the ingredients and basically just saw “milk” so I assumed that it was just milk. Interestingly, I think it tastes sweeter than my normal milk. Just today, I figured I would see what the internet had to say about this “new milk” and found your article.

Overall, I think I will stick with my original brand.

41. hath-no-fury says:

I love it .. Been using it for 4 months now.. My wife is pregnant now. Wondering if the UHT filterization affects pregnant women ? My wife consumes it ..so far its been great with no issues. its a great protein addition . Extra calcium helps.

• Sue McCloskey says:

Hi there, this is Sue McCloskey, one of the founders of fairlife. Man, I wish this was around during the years I was pregnant… especially our chocolate milk! Totally safe for everyone! The ultra filtering uses no chemicals, additives, heat or foo-foo powders! It’s a simple process much like using a Brita filter for your drinking water.
      Hope that helps!

• Lucas says:

I love your product!!! I even got the local Giant to stock it just for me!!!! The only bummer is that since I’m such a hypochondriac (jokingly) and health coach, and due to my recent research on carrageenan, I have banned myself from your delicious chocolate milk!! Ahhhh!!! So my question to you Dear Sue is that isn’t there some other way to thicken the milk or some less controversial ingredient that can be used?!? Pleeeeease lol. It was my post workout go-to allowing me to ditch the expense protein powders but now I’m back looking for chocolate milks without carrageenan (they all have it, darn). Anyway thanks again for the product and until I reach the age that my genetic heart disease precursors start showing up I will be buying six of the half gallon jugs per trip to the store! More protein and exercise people and less sugar!!!!!!!!!!

42. Nunya Bidness says:

I think this “blog” is a fairly transparent shill and its author needs a better education on forensics and debate.

Ah yes, you caught me. I’m a shill. Which is why I’ve spent 4 years writing about everything from cow boggers to corn sex to awkward photos to Fairlife… and not being paid for any of it.

I guess I’m the worst shill ever.

• Christy says:

I love Fairlife (hate the price) love the product! I had gastric bypass 6 months ago and I hate protein shakes!!! So Fairlife has been my saving grace! I was never thrilled about the $2.97 price (at Walmart) but I was willing to pay it and have for 2 months now. However literally over night the price jumped from the $2.97 to $3.98!!!! That’s over 25% price increase and when I tried to ask a Walmart employee of course I got a stupid uneducated answer or probably more like a guess than an answer. He said because it’s costing farmer more to take care of their cows. When I said then why is all the other milk brands (Walmart included) still priced the same? I got a blank look and a “I don’t know” response. I hate to say it but I don’t think I’m willing to pay over a $1 more. I see protein shakes again in my future

43. carol shook says:

I absolutely LOVE Fairlife mike. I’m 65 and I have never tasted a better milk. Great taste, very smooth. Try it! If your a milk lover, you’ll never go back to regular milk again.

44. Patti says:

I think fairlife is the creamiest and best tasting milk I’ve tasted in a long time. The chocolate is incredible. I tell people about it all the time. Biggest drawback, the price. It is not low cost.

45. Tanya says:

I’m always raving about Fairlife milk, so here is an article that I think you will find informative. As a mom, I’m always looking for more natural, healthy choices, while being animal / earth friendly. (No, I’m not a natzi about it, but if I can find all 3, I’m happy) .

Growing up “straight from the cow” milk was the “affordable thing”. (YIKES if you got a bitter weed batch) So, if you have ever had the processed milk, and the unprocessed, you would understand just how much sugar is in our milk. If you have big milk drinkers, you need to reduce that sugar, remove some additives, and get more protein in them. Fairlife does that for us, at about $2.89 for a half gallon. Yes, about the same amount as a gallon of “regular” milk, but a more healthy option. The added benefit is its lactose free, so ALL my 5 kids can drink it. I can eliminate buying almond milk, goat milk, fat free regular milk, and can just buy fairlife for everyone.

I’m not going to lie, the first drink, after drinking highly processed, sugar added milk, will be a shock. It’s creamy, smooth, and almost like straight from the cow. Give it a few days to adjust, and you want drink anything else.

No, I’m not a spokes person for them, lol, I just like to share really good products with other moms/dad’s.

Currently, I buy 10 a week 🙂

I’m glad you like Fairlife! But I do want to clarify that there is no sugar added to regular white mik.

• Sue McCloskey says:

Hi Keisha, I’m so glad that you’re able to meet all of your family’s varying needs with fairlife! And, I agree with you on the taste, it’s hard for me to drink anything else… especially our chocolate milk.
      As a dairy farmer who also sells fresh milk in the conventional way, I support Dairy Carrie’s statement that regular milk doesn’t have any sugar added to it and is a super nutrient packed drink that many of us take for granted.
      But as my grandmother said, “It takes all kinds”, and so, we at fairlife are excited to bring a little innovation and recognition to milk!

46. Keisha Arline says:

I have been drinking this milk for about a month now.I guess as I get older the whole milk is just not working for me.I really like it.I have not had not one problem..It tastes great.It you don’t like it move on..But for me I’m hooked.

47. jacki says:

oh lord……NOT REAL MILK PEOPLE…BY THE TIME U HAVE HEALTH PROBLEMS IT WILL BE TO LATE…WOW GROW UP

48. Louise says:

The info on fair life!!!

49. Sister and I (We’re widows living together) have been drinking Fairlife for a few months, a Nutritionist recommended it…we LIKE it, sure it’s more expensive than the fat free milk we were buying…..but we like that there’s less sugar and really, really like that it is lactose free….Yea!