PETA’s Undercover North Carolina Dairy Farm Video.

August 12, 2014 by dairycarrie

This afternoon I got an email about a new video that the People For Ethical Animals (PETA) had posted on their social media sites. My first thought was to roll my eyes, PETA isn’t exactly known to be the sane voice in animal welfare or even animal rights for that matter, but never the less I went and watched the video.

After watching the video for the first time I was disgusted! The video shows cows slogging through incredibly deep manure. Their legs are dirty and the amount of manure in the barn is unbelievable!

I started talking to other dairy farmers about this video and how there was absolutely no defending it when I realized something… The barn they show really is unbelievably dirty… as in so dirty that you have to ask yourself if what they are showing you is really real.

As I watched the video again I realized that the cows themselves were telling me the truth…

Peta Video from Dairy Farm

Wow, that’s an awful lot of manure they are walking through… These are horrible conditions! But… Wait… I see something that doesn’t make sense….

I see a lot of manure, I see cows with dirty legs. But I see something else, something that most people that aren’t around cows wouldn’t even think about or notice…

Clean Tails? Clean Tummy? Look at that bright white tail on the first cow. If she had in fact been living in filth like they show how in the world would she have kept her tail so clean? And as any dairy farmer knows, once a cow's tail gets covered in manure and she uses it to swat at the flies, her whole back gets covered in manure. I don't see that.

Clean Tails? Clean Tummy? Look at that bright white tail on the first cow.

Our cows live in a “freestall” barn like this. The cows lay in a stall with their butt towards the alley. The alley is about 6 inches lower than the stalls the cows lay in. This is designed this way so that when a cow poops (remember cows have no problem pooping while laying down) the poop falls away from the cow and her udder.

This is our freestall barn. The girls are relaxing in their clean sand bedded stalls. We scrape the manure out of the alley twice a day while the girls are being milked.

This is our freestall barn. You can see the drop between the alley and the stalls where the girls lay. The girls are relaxing in their clean, comfortable stalls. What’s interesting about this photo is that I took it when our cows had full access to pasture. Instead of going outside, they were hanging out inside under the fans where they were most comfortable.  We scrape the manure out of the alley twice a day while the girls are being milked.

However in this video the alley is so full of manure that if a cow was laying in the stall not only would her hips end up with manure on them, her tail would be covered in it. Once her tail was covered in manure and she flicked at flies, the rest of her body would be covered in manure as well. None of the cows in the video are dirty like that!

If you look at the cow above the knees... she's clean. Wait? What? How could that possibly be the case if she was living in such filth?

If you look at the cow above the knees… she’s clean. Wait? What? How could that possibly be the case if she was living in such filth? I think her expression fits my feelings about this video!

Look beyond the manure...

Look beyond the manure… clean tails, clean bellies.

When I look beyond the manure I see a group of cows that are clean when if they were living in this barn they would be filthy from head to toe. I see a feed area with not a scrap of feed in it and my experience in dealing with manure tells me that this stuff has been moved around recently. While I don’t know this farmer and I don’t know the story about what’s going on here, to me it looks like these cows were paraded through this area for the purpose of making this video. The lack of feed in the feed area, coupled with the amount of manure makes me wonder if this part of the barn was being used for temporary manure storage rather than to house cows. That may be odd but it’s not abusive to the cows!

Aside from the manure situation let’s look at what the rest of the video says…

Voiceover Man Says- "This cow, only identified as '2' by a tag on her ear..."

Voiceover Man Says- “This cow, only identified as ‘2’ by a tag on her ear…”

Ok Mr. Voiceover man, this is kinda silly. I’m guessing that you didn’t ask the farmer about this cow. Maybe you tried asking the cow herself how she would like to be addressed?
This is like taking a photo of a guy waiting at the DMV and saying “This man only identified as 463, by the number in his hand.”… If you asked me I could tell you everything about my cows, from their name to who their mother and grandmother is but if you walked onto my farm you would see numbers in their ears.

What's going on here?

What’s going on here?

Here Mr. Voiceover man says that this cow is clearly emaciated because you can see her bones. I’ve covered this topic already HERE. The cliff notes version is that unless a cow is morbidly obese, you will always see it’s hip bones. This is how cows are built, they are not hippos nor should anyone expect them to look like hippos!

The voice over in the video calls this farm a “Dairy Factory” however from what I can see in the video, their milking parlor is smaller than ours, meaning that they aren’t set up to milk a lot of cows.

About that manure pit?

About that manure pit?

This manure pit looks pretty dang full to me. Mr Voiceover man tells us that it’s been sitting so long that the top hardened. Well, first of all, the point of having a manure pit is for it to contain manure until the farmer is able to haul the manure out without having to worry about runoff from heavy rains or snow melt. I wrote about how farmers handle manure HERE. Secondly, this manure pit is under a roof. This allows the farmer to divert rainwater from the manure pit, that’s a good thing! That would also explain why the top of the pit is dry.

About that manure pit...

This is our manure pit. It’s not under a roof and we have had a pretty dry summer. It’s getting hard on top too. Does that mean that our cows aren’t cared for? Of course not! What does it mean when a manure pit has a dry top? Not much!

PETA almost tricked me with this one. I watched the video and was ready to go and kick this farmer’s butt myself. If this video really showed what it says it shows the line of dairy farmers wanting to make sure this farm went out of business would stretch for miles. Nobody wants to see cows kept in conditions like this, especially dairy farmers.  I can totally understand how many people will watch this and walk away with a bad impression of not just this farm but all farms.

Of course that’s what PETA wants. As they say in the video, they want you to to go vegan. PETA claims that the milk from this farm went to Harris Teeter stores, however the milk company that buys milk from this farm has said that is incorrect. Considering PETA’s track record on getting their facts right, that’s not very surprising.

I don’t know what the full story is here and I’ll certainly do more checking but I feel confident that what the video is trying to show isn’t how things really are. If I find more information out, I’ll update this post.

I’m glad I took the time to watch this video again and see the real story. Unfortunately the Associated Press picked this story up this afternoon and sent it out to thousands of newspapers and television statements. Because of that, dairy farmers like myself get an undeserved black eye and now have a huge hill to climb to get the correct information out.  I hope you’ll share this post with your friends and not let PETA pull the wool over more people’s eyes.

To learn more about how dairy farmers care for cows please visit these sites-
The Dairyland Initiative

Professional Dairy Producers of Wisconsin

UPDATE-

139 thoughts on “PETA’s Undercover North Carolina Dairy Farm Video.

1. Beth says:

I don’t trust PETA. They tend to film in a manner that doesn’t tell the whole truth much of the time. Like the manure area shown in the video. It may be a small area, while 99% of the area the cows are in is clean. Surely the cows get washed off etc before milking. And what time of year was the video made? Winter when even pasture land can be mucky and wet because of rain?

And I dislike PETA and now the Humane Society thanks to thoughtful comments by you and others here. PETA boasts about rescuing dogs, yet they put many a dog down if they cannot find a home for the dog. They do not invest in retraining dogs that have been rescued from horrid situations.

I say all this as someone who strives to be vegan or at least vegetarian.

Thanks for commenting Beth. PETA cares more about drumming up donations than they do getting true information out. That doesn’t help either side.

• Nadia says:

What about the pigs being tortured? I saw the videos peta posted and they’re horrible how can they do that? Where do they get those videos from? I am confused now :/

• People Eating Tasty Animals says:

PeTA has paid someone $10,000 to chainsaw a live pig, and another large sum of cash to a man to get him to skin an animal alive, all for the sake of making snuff videos. Don’t trust anything they put out.

• Where is your evidence of this $10,000 donation? I think PETA is a much more benign organisation than you might think. They are an extremely transparent organisation, much more so than there for-profit counterparts. Their most controversial stunt was the comparison between holocaust victims and animals. I agree that this was insensitive and PETA had gone too far on that account. But they are not, by their own regulations, allowed to fabricate or contrive any circumstances when filming. I think there is a fear that PETA is trying to subvert everyone’s meat-eating lifestyle. I support PETA but I still eat meat, it is a matter for the individual to decide. There are enough crises and gratuitous animal abuses and injustices in the world that PETA would not have the time, energy, or will to fabricate the results.

Sources:
          Deckha, 2008. ‘Peta and the ethics of animal advocacy’
          Sunstein, 2003. ‘The rights of animals’
          PETA full policy, 2014 (accessed at http://www.peta.org/about-peta/learn-about-peta/website-policies/)

• D Scott says:

For Profit Counterparts??? Less than 10% of all donations actually goes to “helping” animals in any way and that is why PETA just got their non profit status revoked by the IRS.

• Shay says:

I live in the county where this was filmed. No one loves animals more than I, so I rode to the farm. I recognized it in the video and went out to see for myself. It is much like any other dairy farm I have seen. Cows are, by nature, very messy creatures. We have had a lot of rainy days this season. Our county has very strict regulations about transfer of manure. If there is a prediction of rain, it cannot be hauled. It stays in a pit and actually runs a trough to the pit. The thing I saw was a regular farm with a hard working bunch of people barely making a living. The cows were actually very clean. Some of them had dirty legs, but the rest of their bodies were clean. They were no skinnier than any other cows. (I have ridden a cow before and let me tell you they are bony. I don’t suggest it.) I have never owned cows, but I have owned horses. I have not seen the good PETA has done. I have seen some bad. In this case, it is bad. I guess we can all just convert over and eat grass. Who needs farmers? Those money grubbers that work for about $2.00 an hour can get a job at minimum wage and make a descent living. I would never do the job they do. Sir, in this case, PETA and you are wrong.
          Kelly Teague
          Waynesville, NC

• ksgirl says:

The farmers round here drive $70K pickup trucks. I don’t know about your claims to working for $2.00/hour. I’ve seen worse conditions so PETA does bring awareness to the minds of those who might not otherwise think about it.

• Animal lover says:

Peta is good and i defend them cause they defend animals it is very easy to criticize PETA but prove it and stop making stupid accusations what are you doing for animals? You as a person?.. Nothing so shut up.. Unless you do something for animals as PETA do they help and care about all animals!

• Chris says:

Wow that was a very intelligent post! This video is a perfect example of their staging. Thanks Carrie for taking time to point this out.

• ccdirtdawgs says:

.”Do something for animals as PETA do,” Animal lover? I can’t (and don’t want to) think of anything that tops collecting dogs & cats from rural shelters and vet offices in eastern NC, injecting them with death juice in a PETA van behind a Piggly Wiggly grocery and tossing them into dumpsters before driving back to PETA HQ in Norfolk. And what kind of defending of animals is it that annually causes 90+% of the pets that PETA takes in to be killed? Go check the VDACS (VA Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Services) shelter stats page yourself.

Last week, I picked up 6 dogs from a sad 20+ dog owner surrender at my local shelter and delivered them to a responsible rescue organization that will nurse them back to health, find them homes and make sure that they live out the rest of their lives comfortably. That’s what it means to defend animals. I won’t worry about my neighbors, the dairy farmers, cuz I know their cows all have names and live more healthy lives than most human city dwellers!

• JenniferT says:

ProjectMinfulness- please note the fact that a German court CONVICTED PeTA of paying to stage a video of an animal skinned alive.

• mjporkk says:

Born & raised on a Dairy farm. I noticed everything you mentioned. If they were in that deep of manure everyday. Even just a few days I guarantee the cows tails would be 1 mud ball. Even though We don’t have dairy cows today anyone raising cattle can spot a staged show.
      As I said I don’t have cattle.

• I baled hay for a very small dairy farmer for a month in the 1960s (25 cows), so I can be called not even close to knowing much. But after watching this story every thing made complete common sense. I think Peta’s main funtion is for celebreties to have a place hang their coat and look responsible to the public. (usually nude at that)

• Jan Dykema says:

PETA kills animals period they do not try to “find them homes” except in their walk in freezer. meanwhile GREAT dissection of a carefully staged video. we need more like you doing this.

• wonkers says:

truth is PETA kills more cats and dogs than kill shelters. There was an article where an elderly couple had to go into a nursing home and had to give up their young dog. It was euthanized before they even left the property. PETA is set up only to make money, not for the benefit of animals.

• trista says:

Id like to point out you said they put down dogs that they cant find homes for…. I have some sad news for you. They put down healthy animals that arrive within 24hours. They also steal peoples pets and kill them… peta was caught stealing a healthy dog on camera off of a families porch while the family was away.
      peta is not for animals… they are for animal liberation as in free all the animals and any animal is better off dead then in the hands of a human.
      They are more if a cult then anything.

2. Kate says:

Not to mention the fact they claim this was an ‘undercover’ video. I think I would know if someone was in my dairy filming the cows. What a setup!

3. TikkTok says:

People need to do more research on PETA. Not only do they want people to go vegan, but they don’t think anyone should have pets-dogs, cats-anything that’s a companion animal.

And they have no qualms about killing them, either. PETA is many things, but humane and ethical are not even remotely close to the truth.

• Goose McGoose says:

Well, the destruction of animals is essential I’m afraid. While the world is full of careless people not desexing their pets we will always have an overpopulation in pounds. In new Zealand we have lost so many native species of animal due to domestic cats and dogs. Less Kiwis and Kakapos, but yet poor fifi and tinkerbell are preggas again with their ninth litter.

• Jan Dykema says:

in the USA 83% of all owned dogs are “desexed’ and over 90% of cats. Why not move here if you are so unhappy with NZ and their tawdry ways. I have visited your country and loved it. Animals of all sorts were very well cared for.

• TikkTok says:

Agreed. *However*- folks believe that if they turn over strays to PETA that they will be treated; found new homes, etc. They don’t know that PETA doesn’t treat or rehome; they don’t even try. Because they believe no animal should be a pet, they really believe those animals are better off dead. {They’re often not, but they don’t even bother.}

Until folks regularly spay/neuter and it’s cheap, the problem is unlikely to go away. Pretty sure I won’t see it solved in my life time. :/

• Tikktok – you might not know it, but in many, many large areas of the US, the problem of stray animals IS solved, or nearly so. Where I live in the upper midwest, I can’t remember the last time I saw a stray dog. There have been 2 or 3 ‘loose” dogs in my neighborhood in the past twenty or so years, and once one of my own dogs escaped through a loose board in the fence, but those are not strays. The result is that the local “humane society” has quit all animal control services (too expensive to maintain a staff and equipment, vehicles, to do real rescue work on such a small scale) and is now what is called a Retail Rescue Pet Store, importing dogs (their cats they choose from the county AC, the pound), mostly puppies*, from southern states that everyone knows but will never speak out loud, are bred specifically for the “rescue market” in southern states.
          *If you understand shelter population statistics, you will know that puppies are very rare. So how come this Retail Rescue Pet Store finds many thousands in what they claim are ‘kill shelters’ in other states . . . . well, use your imagination. Those puppies have never seen the inside of a shelter, they were picked up by Petsmart Charities Rescue Waggin’ and come with a label of “live release” from some non-profit that is using those puppies to look good on paper when their county or primary funding source reviews the statistics and decides if the director should keep his/her job . . .

So, problem solved in one place is setting up another feel-good con game, shell game, elsewhere. And sharing diseases and parasites from geographical areas where they were isolated before this practice began. And for historical reference, this started following a mass ‘rescue” effort after Hurricane Katrina, and is called by a euphemism “humane relocation”. It is better described as “dog trafficking”, and it extends to the entire globe, and is growing. The leaders in the humane groups encouraging these scams are HSUS and the ASPCA. PeTA is merely the trained monkey, like the carnival barker to get people to pay attention. Partners in crime.

• TikkTok says:

I’m glad your city has it solved. I’ve never lived anywhere that didn’t have a problem with strays. Nowhere. Shelters are always overflowing. Most have low cost spay/neuter programs in place, and while that helps, it’s not a complete solution.

• Chuck Hawkes says:

in the US they actual import dogs from other countries that when imported do not require a health certificate. There have even been protest from other countries about the US importing these animals that are actual stolen from their owners and shipped here.

• Not to get off the topic, but just this past week a quite momentous announcement was made by the USDA in partnership with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) on this very problem. This battle took about SIX YEARS to finalize, nothing in government works fast, and there were a lot of groups who fought against this, primarily so-called “rescue” groups like MexiMutts, which don’t really ‘rescue’ in the true sense of the word, but are picking up free merchandise from the streets of Mexico, Puerto Rico, Bosnia/Herzogovena, China etc. and SELLING animals to unsuspecting Americans. It’s called Dog Trafficking for profit. Read this please: http://naiaonline.org/blog/animal-policy/new-usda-regulation-a-boon-to-public-health-and-safety/#.U_iwMFPepJY

• Ash says:

Considering I lived in Mississippi and volunteered as a driver and foster for this “trafficking” operation I think my experience should be heard. In Mississippi there are packs of dogs that run around reproducing like rabbits, there are owners who do not think it is their responsibility to spay/neuter or even contain their animals, and there are of course the back yard breeder/hoarder. Those of us looking out for the welfare of the animals try to educate owners, provide low cost to no cost spay/neuter options, and try to get every animal possible off the streets and sterilized. That being said we are fighting a battle with no chance of an end in sight. The transport I volunteered for often had more puppies than fosters. This meant that they often had to turn away the less “desirable” rescues. Every dog sent on transport had to have a minimum of two series of vaccinations, have been dewormed, spayed/neutered, fostered for 2 weeks in a home with no signs of disease, and prior to transport have been assessed by a veterinarian and issued a health certificate for travel.

And despite the constant flow of animals to the north our shelters are still having to euthanize animals of all ages due to overcrowding.

• You have said it well. There was an account of an elderly man bringing his beloved pet rabbit to PETA, including a little hutch, special toys, all his food. The man was devastated, but had to go into assisted living, and couldn’t take his pal with him. They promised him that they would find the rabbit a loving home, and the man left feeling a bit better. That bunny was killed before the man left the parking lot.

4. Miranda says:

I am glad that there are great Agvocates out there to share the real story! You are completely right this is so staged. Which is sad because to the average person they will believe this immediately! I was raised on a beef farm and currently work in the chicken industry. Which are scrutinized regularly along with the dairy industry! Thanks for being an Agvocate!

5. Lauren says:

Thanks for taking the time to speak up about the PETA/animal rights/touchy issues. You’re a great voice for the ag industry!

6. Charmae Kendall says:

Thanks for standing up for our NC dairy farmers dairycarrie!!

7. animalandpeoplelover says:

No surprise, as PeTA is known for dishonesty in its videos. A European court found PeTA GUILTY of paying people to skin raccoon dogs ALIVE in order to make a video and then claim most fur harvesters do it this way. LIES. PeTA is more flagrant (and will continue to be until exposed, sued, and made to pay huge settlements) than the Humane Society of the U.S. (H$U$), though the latter is slicker and uses more donor dollars to peddle influence with legislators and infiltrate government agencies that deal with animals (e.g., USDA/APHIS). H$U$ did take an expensive hit though when they and a few other smaller animal rights organizations had to give Feld Entertainment $15.75 MILLION to stop further RICO (Racketeering) prosecutions in court and avoid a racketeering conviction. The A$PCA settled a few months previously for $9.3 MILLION to avoid the same. Charity Navigator, who H$U$ proudly referred to as rating them as a top “charity”, downgraded H$U$ after the settlement, and issued a donor warning about contributing to them. That’s gotta hurt!

• Julia says:

animalandpeoplelover: “A European court found PeTA GUILTY of paying people to skin raccoon dogs ALIVE in order to make a video ”

I have researched this on the web and it looks like another smear job against PETA. I’ve found no credible source for this but plenty of rumor-mongering going on at clearly biased sites. PETA has made a lot of enemies and some of them seem to be totally unscrupulous in their tactics. If there are credible journalistic sources I’d be happy to see them but I try to avoid believing mere rumors.

I don’t particularly care for many of PETA’s activities, but I try to use the same common sense skepticism towards them as I do to any other group with an agenda. Which of course includes every human organization, including those related to farming.

• Jamie Foley says:

DariyCarrie I think it’s highly irresponsible of you to allow people to repeat what are essentially unfounded myth. At this point the comment section of your blog is looking like the conspiracy mongering you would find on a Sandyhook truth or or 9/11 truth or website. Do you understand what a false flag conspiracy is? Are you really a Truther?

• Jamie Foley says:

Except you don’t have any evidence of this German court case, no one does I’ve been asking for it for years

8. angorawoolwitch says:

I grew up working on dairies. I live next door to a dairy. There is NO WAY cows milked without washing udders & legs would be graded for drinking milk. The bacteria count in their tanks would be sky-high. And that loafing shed sure did look deserted–does this dairy perhaps only have the two cows shown? I couldn’t help it…I left my comments on the video site.

9. Serephina says:

Don’t ever trust and organization that profits from abuse. The more abuse they can “prove” the more donations roll in. Those donations in turn are used against any and every agenda they feel is important. PETA are not defenders of animals they are abolitionists biding their time and hoping to get enough political power and money to be able to buy legislation in their favor.

A prime example would be the NYC carriage horses. PETA coupled with an AR group run by one of PETA’s biggest donors and a real estate mogul threw money at the current mayor to get him elected on the platform that he would in turn ban the carriage horses. If nobody stands up and stops them and the ban in put into effect..I’ll give you one guess who is first in line to benefit from the purchase and remodel of those stable’s in prime real estate areas.

Lets also not forget that their most recent attack and video on the racing world was proven to be a farce AND their undercover agent committed to a sexual relationship with one of the trainers in order to be able to have the access to film. So what does that make PETA ..are they also pimps now ?

• E. says:

Your first sentence in your comment was he most TRUE statement I have ever seen. Plus, If PETA truly cared about making a difference in animal welfare, then they would try and COOPERATE with farmers/owners/ etc. by creating and posting these videos they do nothing more than cause anger and reaction (something they care more about than actually making a change).

10. thehorsewoman says:

I grew up in the heart of dairy country in NY. How do we know these cows aren’t meant for the meat truck. I have never liked PETA. It made me for not all farm’s are bad.

As a dairy farmer it’s pretty obvious that these ladies aren’t headed for a meat truck. They look pretty dang good to me!

• NBS says:

I live on a beef farm…cows living in the littlest bit of manure seem to find it an lie down on it!! Those cows looked quite clean given the amount of manure the we’re slogging through. PLUS when all of our cows are in the barn their poop is nowhere near that runny! That looked like watered down mud not chunky cow pies!

11. Nicole says:

Well I work for the department of agriculture and I can say a crust on the manure lagoon is a great thing. We on fact look for that. That crust helps keep odors down

• angorawoolwitch says:

Please, go to the YouTube video and clarify that on there. Rational comments need to be put out where John Q Public can see them!

12. Laurella Desborough says:

I am glad that dairycarrie took a second look at PETA’s video and wrote about it. Some years back at an international conference I met a couple videographers who told me about some experiences their colleagues had with animal rights organizations who wanted to raise money on the theme of saving Brazil’s river dolphins. The dolphins were not in danger, but the animal rights folks hired some fishermen to catch and kill some and made videos of the event to be able to promote donations to “Save Brazil’s River Dolphins!” In other words, the video was a fake. This was in the early 1900s. Then I saw a video with a clip made in Africa where if you looked closely, you saw the use of nylon lines in what appeared to be another set up video to use as a propaganda film. These are the tactics employed by these radicals who are not even interested in the animals, but in donations and control of public perception. Disgusting!

13. I come from a Dairy Farm in NC and I agree at first I am shocked at what I see. But like you Carrie there is so much to see that they don’t point out. I know so many dairies that do not look like this. We had the PETA guy come around looking for a job. He posed as someone who had farmed his whole life, but he brought a resume that was just too perfect. We have lost so many dairies in NC and it makes me sad that PETA is doing this.

14. Rhys says:

I would like to point out that at one point they show a lot full of manure with a small tree, or some sort of foliage, growing and say that the girls are forced to live under these conditions. There is absolutely no way anything green is going to grow in a freestall barn that cattle are housed in. No way.

• Rhys that’s a definite true statement ! We stock pile our manure and after its gone NOTHING grows there…PERIOD!! We also chop inslege for a large dairy farm here in Nebraska. They also have alleys with the step and yes there is poop but I’ve also seen them hose down the alley 2 x a day then use a box scraper to remove the manure. These cattle are treated extremely well , cool in summer comfortable in winter when its -45 out..

15. I’m glad you took the time to really look at the video and let the rest of us know your thoughts!

16. chrissy says:

My husband and I also dairy and use the free stall system. Our cows much the same as those shown would rather lounge under cover than crisp in the sun. Our feed bunks are outside from the freefall and we even have sun shades overhead for them. Our alleyways are scraped morning and night with a modified tractor tire on our skid steer directly into the pit where it stays until we hook up the pipes across the field and the sprayer.

As for hips protruding show me a fat cow and I will show you a cow that isn’t milking very hard. While not all farmers are legit and maintain questionable practice with their animals this is a very unfair and false portrait that has been painted. IMHO PETA is a master of deception.

17. Mac says:

I grew up on a dairy farm many years ago. I know that at that time my father had many rules and regulations to follow in order to maintain a Grade A dairy farm. The farm and barn were also insepected often by the government to make sure that everything was spotless. These inspections were always unannounced. That was more than thirty years ago. If and I know it was that strict 30+ years ago, i can no imagine what regulations the dairy farmers of today have to adhere to.

18. Stephany N says:

First thing I noticed was how clean the rest of the cow was after walking through that!!

19. A W says:

I hate these videos that surface. I live in canada and an animal cruelty video surfaced ( it was justifiably animal cruelty) but the back lash that they created on the entire industry was insane.

My husband works on robotic millers and his boss called the people that made the video and told them he’d pay their people to come film a robotic dairy to show how humane they are and they refused,

They are only interested in trying to destroy the dairy industry… Never mind that that cows will DIE if they aren’t milked, and that they get to just eat, sleep and eat some more… Pretty rough life…

20. matt says:

You should send the Associated Press your interpretation of the video and see how they respond. I lived and worked on a beef farm in Va for three years while in college and your observations are dead on. I have no objections to a vegetarian or vegan diet, there’s nothing wrong with either. Nor do I have any objections to eating venison, I prefer doe meat over a buck’s. Also I love homegrown vegetables. I only take issue with someone who is under the impression that their position, or preference, be the only righteous choice for everyone. Especially those who are the more radical side.

Hit them up and see what they say!

21. tj says:

so true Chrissy

22. Heidi Nicole says:

Thank you for this post — I’m a farm girl living in a big city where going vegan due to “mean farmers” isn’t uncommon at all. It’s videos like this that convert the uneducated who aren’t asking the right questions. Thank you for all of your posts where you explain my the farm life that was my upbringing!

No, I haven’t watched the video, and no, I’m not going to. PETA doesn’t deserve the views!

23. TB says:

These are great observations, Carrie. Your comments made me notice a few other inconsistencies in the video:

1. At 15 seconds there is a large weed growing next to the feed rack. No honorable herbivore would have let that weed survive past six inches in height.

2. There is a great deal of bird manure on the pipe above where they are fed. In my experience, birds don’t gather or nest in high traffic areas such as a feed bunk.

3. There is no fresh splatter. Anywhere. Not in the feed bunk, not on the support beam, nowhere. When manure is that “soupy” it gets everywhere and there is no hiding from it.

4. Lastly, everything looks old and unused. You can always tell when something has gone untouched for an extended period, and this appears to be the case.

If PETA is going to stage a video in an abandoned dairy barn, I would suggest hiring some help next time.

24. Happytobesmiling says:

Keep it up, the truth needs to be out there. Don’t worry, as a responsible consumer, I’m gonna continue to enjoy milk and won’t just take word from a video that I need to change my entire way of life. Thank u for doing what’s right in a world where wrong is constantly celebrated!

25. Ernie E Terry says:

my uncle was in the dairy business for many years and retired with my other uncles I have an aunt is still milks cowsand I can tell you from experience going there in the summer a scam this video is a scam it’s sad that there is animals in the world hurtingbut they have to make it worse by making their selves liars

26. James Loomis says:

We have had situations on our farm when something has gone wrong with a manure pump or line and a big mess happens, At that moment things might look bad but we also would work a 18-20 hour day if needed to try to fix it, and a sick cow can easily look like she has been neglected when truthfully much money and time is actually being spent to try to save her. Sometimes cows do stupid things that result in some very difficult situations for farmers to deal with.

27. Tyler says:

If you look at the end showing the barn it is totally empty…..where are all these cows drudging through the manure now?

28. meme says:

I think this is crazy who would put these cows in this video PERIOD if its really that bad call the law simple fact lets just sit and praise people for making videos

• Steve says:

The people making the video staged the event and put the cows in the bad situation. “Praise” to the people for putting healthy animals is a sewer sludge? The video makers didn’t care for the animals’ well being, they only cared about the donations they would get from an uninformed (and now misinformed) public. Peta should be sued for fraud.

29. Piet says:

This video is just a set up, why aren’t there any more cows in the pasture, they only want us to see that there are animals that have pain, and that don’t have a good life, but you don’t see any other cows laying down or eating, and there’s defenitly not enough food for or all the cow’s. So i think this is just a stupid set up video to let people see that the farmers are not taking care of their animals, sometims you have a sick cow every farmer does, or one with a injured leg that are te cows where you care about a little more just to be sure the cow will stay allive. And ofcourse all the cow’s have flies around them, but you can easly protect them from flies whit a spray or something. And about the eartags, in a couple years all the information will go trough ear tags, so none off the cows will have a neck band, but it doens’t mean a farmer don’t have to know his cows well without a neck band.

30. Terri says:

Wow thank you for sharing all that with me. My grand daughter is 17 and she constantly charges what she eats because she this type of “crap”. (No pun intended…well maybe a little)
    People are so influenced by the internet and videos like this.
    I wasn’t really able to get across to her that what she saw wasn’t really how things are.

She wouldn’t drink milk or eat beef because of seeing a video like this. So she went Vegan.

I just wish I could get her to watch and or read the information you put out.

31. Ashley says:

Great article. I haven’t watched the official video, I fell like I’ve seen enough of their crap to have an idea of what they were trying to show, but I loved your break down of the obvious flaws in the video. Thanks for helping to show laypeople that PETA really is just a group of liars.

32. BigJ4the2A says:

PETA = Pathological Evaders of True Accounts

33. John says:

A lot of dairy farms are still relatively small business in the fact that you don’t have time, or money to waste. Now if this was shot secretly I could get that maybe someone snuck into a barn and took a video, but following a cow into the parlor secretly? IF that was the cows living conditions this dude would be out of business. His somatic cell count would be fucking through the roof, there be hoof problems, etc. I’ve worked in mining and exploration drilling since leaving dairy farming behind and the waste I see is laughable. Small farms operate on a knifes edge, economically speaking, so this video seems laughable.

34. Sandy says:

I am very doubtful of many of these videos. In this time of technology, you can alter the facts to fit your particular view. I am so tired of all the crying ads for one organization or another, then finding out that very little of the funds donated actually go for the care of the animals they are claiming they help. It seems that they need all the money to pay the high dollar corporate heads, not to actually aid the plight of the animals. People that alter these facts should be called to account legally, and at the very least fined for misrepresenting the facts.

35. ewesonclogs says:

Carrie, please go on like this. When I saw the first ten seconds I realized there was something wrong with this video. I work with cows every day, have worked with animals for the past 45 years and have no “like” for Peta at all. In the Netherlands there is a group similar to this, called “Wakker Dier”, they do the same thing like Peta, spread lies and untruths just to get people stop eating meat.
    These groups are a pain to society in my eyes, and do nothing to better it.

36. avery says:

And on top of all that the video shows 10-15 cows max…..there is now way that they could produce that much waste. One heck of “milk factory”

37. Julia says:

I have not or do I now live or work on a dairy farm. But THANK YOU for pointing out the lies in this video. My answer when people tell me the “horror” stories of the abuse to animals is “why would a farmer not take care of their source of income?” If the conditions were as depicted in the video would anyone buy milk from them? No! Carrie – keep reporting the truth and the truth will set us all free!

38. Ron says:

Update to story.

Now, Haywood County Animal Control officials say complaints by PETA about the farm are unfounded.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, claimed cows at a farm in Clyde were being mistreated. However, inspectors from the Department of Agriculture and Animal Control say there was no evidence to support those claims.

Local officials say there were some house cleaning issues involving the removal of waste that needed to be addressed, but they say wet weather has hampered the farmer’s ability to keep stalls and runways clear.

Also, Harris Teeter tells News 13 they will be asking PETA to issue a retraction immediately, as the distributor does not receive milk from Osborne Dairy Farm.

I looked at a Google satellite image of farm. It doesn’t look bad. Plenty of pasture.

My guess is the cows are clean because they lay in his pasture and don’t use the barn. Maybe they only go through the barn to exit the parlor.

• cowchow9 says:

While updates and retractions are great, it’s the first story that people hear and remember. It’s a common technique used in court, to put out objectionable information- the jurors may be told to ignore the info, but you can’t unhear something.

• Wowzers says:

People Eating Tasty Animals: The village idiot of animal advocacy since 1980

39. Thank you for sharing this. Kudos for taking a hard look at the video and noticing the discrepencies and catching what most people would never notice. It’s actually PETA who is abusing animals here, not the farmers by making the cows walk through the muck just so they can make their point. Unfortunately, this isn’t the only time PETA and other organizations have done this. Check out http://www.cafoswatchingcafowatchers.com for more examples of how PETA and other organizations like the HSUS are misleading people about farmers and what they do.

40. Karen says:

I would like to Thank Carrie for exposing the TRUTH, and add another source of truth that hasn’t really been covered well. I too, lived by a dairy, so have some experience there. Those farmers know those cows by names. The numbered tags are only for records and for others that do not deal with them daily to keep them straight. Just as hospitals or jails use a number system (account numbers). I also personally own a dairy/beef cross cow, (holstein/black angus cross). She is used for breeding so we have a steer to butcher for our own use. This cow is well fed and runs on pasture all summer. Her hips look boney all the time regardless of how much she is fed or even if she is heavy with calf (Before she gives birth) IT IS A BREED TRAIT. The only milk she gives is the milk her calf sucks from her. SHE HAS BONEY HIPS. SHE IS NOT A BEEF COW. Dairy breeds are boney and you can’t change that with any amount of feed or pampering. We don’t do plastic surgery on cows. That’s like saying a short cow breed is deformed because it doesn’t have longer legs or a cow with no horns has been abused because of their absence. (Polled cows are born with no horns.) Check up on your BREED traits.

41. Ericka says:

OMG! What a crock of – well, you know! I worked at a small dairy (only milked 9 cows in a set in the parlor), and now live on a ranch where we raise beef cattle. Those are some pretty slicked up cattle!! Yes, their legs do have old manure, but their bodies are impressively spotless! Is cow #2 a little thin for my liking? Yes, even for a dairy cow. Is she “emaciated” though? Definitely not! And I certainly wouldn’t go so far as to say her “overgrown hoof” was causing her excruciating pain. Yes, she was favoring it. I’m going to guess the start of some foot rot. (Which, by the way, is something even cattle in pastures can get.)
    As for the cow with the bleeding nose…that’s some awefully bright red “blood” and it seems rather fishy that being so bright it isn’t running, and hasn’t darkened and coagulated since the cow is calmly laying there chewing her cud. Also, why are the flies on the top of the nose and around the nostril instead of on the “blood” itself? And if they are housed in all that mud and filth, why is she laying on what looks to be green grass type ground instead of in a pool of gunk?
    Oh, and LOVE the huge weeds where the cattle spend every night! The whole place looks abandoned! The ‘housing area’ looks nothing like the parlor itself. I would believe there was a hidden camera involved in the parlor stuff…the grainy shots in the dark (probably a morning milking?). But you usually can’t zoom in with a hidden camera on a cow’s ‘bloody’ nose, and those were much clearer, brighter pictures…totally different quality and type.
    And their udders have very little dirt/mud/manure on them…dried, wet, or otherwise, which says that even though they may have the little chunks of dirt on their legs and bellies, their udders are kept clean and in good condition.
    We had one time where we had a part of our pens get this soupy at the dairy. The cows and I had to walk through it twice a day. Through. Not stood in, not housed in. To get to the barn and back out to the bedded open pens at night and pasture during the day. But the udders are cleaned with warm water and iodine solution prior to being milked. So I find it odd that the commentator phrases it as “just moments before being milked” in an attempt to make it sound like that filth doesn’t get washed off prior to milking.
    Every facility has “bad” times. Stuff breaks down, weather causes problems, Murphy’s law. That doesn’t mean that’s the way things always are, or even normally are. There are some bad operations out there (in the dairy world and elsewhere). I wish these idiots would go find them and do some real good instead of wasting time with this junk.

42. paulangle says:

PETA People Eating Tasty Animals Enough said

43. Well said, I have toured many dairy farms and they have all been very clean. I even saw one where the cows came in and milked themselves in very sanitary conditions. NEVER trust PETA, they have an agenda and it is bad for America and your health.

People need to realize that Farmers, Ranchers, and Miners… are the true first line in all production in our way of life. They are the ones that make something from nothing, well dirt and rain, and mining from brute force.

44. Brent Van Meter KANSAS DAIRY FARMER says:

Well We ran a Dairy farm for 4 Generations and I beleive PETA is a Joke these Holsteins are milked and Cared for Very well from what I see the Important thing is They do have fans and a Lean to over their Head yes the transfer alley has Shit in it thats what its for Let these PETA folks walk behind every cow and drag their Shit to the end of that Lean To every time they Shit!! They are not lying in it and apparently they are pretty content or they would’nt be laying down chewing there Cud not only that if they were Starved for Crying Out Loud they woul’nt Have Cud to Chew!!! Also if these PETA people knew anything about Holsteins they’d know every Holstein is Long,Tall& Lanky Even when they are Pregnantthey look the same Way!!! So Carry on My Dairy Milking Friends I Think your Doing A Fine Job and have All My Respect!!!

45. Morgane says:

Does it change to the fact that cows are being exploited there ? I mean, having their milk pumped twice a day and being pregnant without never being able to live with your baby, to whom belongs the milk, is that a life ? I wouldn’t like it for sure ! Oh but wait, they are just cows ! Because we CAN do that to them, let’s just do it ! Why don’t we try it on tigers or lions ?

46. Amy says:

I am from Iowa we have a little herd do cattle for breeding and my Husband knows everything about them, names, numbers, how many calves they have had, how they act after having a calf, everything….they are his other children, he loves them. If something happens to one of them he does everything he can to make it better, sometimes that is not enough and we have to put them down, it is so sad how PETA tries to make us (farmers of all kinds) in to the bad guys…….I watched a show about how PETA put down dogs and it was sick, they put them in a locked dumpster and turn the water hose on. The dogs yowled until you heard silence, I cried, it was horrible,they are cruel not us

47. Emilee Graves says:

I am so glad that you are not afraid to stand up to PETA and I believe as agriculturalists it is our duty to stand up and prove their advertisement wrong. If you ask me staging a barn and making dairy cattle go threw a commercial like that is abuse on PETA’s part, not the hard working dairy farmers trying to earn a living.

48. Jack Gudgel says:

PETA should really mean, “People Eating Tasty Animals.” With their track record, no thinking person would afford PETA any credence at all; but then they count on the gullible to give voice to their agenda. Now having said that, here’s the bottom line: you eat what you want and I’ll eat what I want. Bye now.

49. Mike says:

PETA the same group that campaigned for fish to be called sea kittens….That tell you that your dog shouldn’t eat meat…. and they now want us to believe this video I just dont think so. PETA should be People for the Eating of Tasty Animals