Not Your Mama’s Recipe- Rumchata Rhubarb Crisp.

May 20, 2014 by dairycarrie

Not Your Mama's Recipe- Rhubarb Rumchata Crisp!

Not Your Mama’s Recipe- Rhubarb Rumchata Crisp!

It’s rhubarb season!

That’s an exciting thing around here, I may be excited by things easily. It’s the little things in life. Like the tart and sweet combination of rhubarb and cream and cake that I posted last year.

I love rhubarb but I think that there really hasn’t been much innovation on the rhubarb recipe front in the last 50 years. It amazes me that there are so many rhubarb recipes out there that are all using the exact same ingredients. I decided that it was time to forge ahead into new tart and tangy frontiers and create a recipe that was not only delicious but also unique.

And with booze, because we can!

All too often I find Rhubarb recipes that are equal parts sugar and rhubarb, I don’t understand this. The tartness of the rhubarb should be complemented by the sweet not overpowered. I think this hits the right balance while including the creamy, cinnamon and rum flavors of Rumchata.

Rumchata Rhubarb Crisp Recipe.

You will need-

• 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup quick cooking rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 4 cups sliced rhubarb
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 Cup Rumchata.

Start off by preheating your oven to 350. Get out a 8×8 baking dish and smear a little dab of butter on the sides and bottom. Use your hands, because buttery fingers makes life fun.

Rhubarb crisp recipe

Chop your rhubarb up into medium size pieces.

What to do with rhubarb

Mix the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and oats. Melt the butter and add the vanilla and add it to your bowl of dry ingredients.

Recipe with Rumchata

Mix it all together. It’s going to be crumbly. That’s how you want it.

New rhubarb recipe

Take half of your mixture and press it into the bottom of your pan. You want to pack it down pretty well. Also, does everybody have this pattern of Corelle Ware? Because I feel like everyone has this pattern.

Now, pretend there is a pretty picture of the rhubarb you cut up in a gallon size freezer bag. Pretend this picture tells you to put the rhubarb in a bag and add the cornstarch. It would also tell you to toss the rhubarb around so it’s coated with the cornstarch. I don’t have this photo because I didn’t do this and I wish I had. It would have made my life easier and resulted in much less heartbreak. Just remember, I suffer the heartbreak so you don’t have to.

No strawberry rhubarb crisp

Put your rhubarb into the dish. All of it.

Tippy Cow Orange Cream

Now… here is the fun part.  Pour the Rumchata over the top of the rhubarb. You should also pour yourself a glass while you’re at it. (I’ll let you in on a secret, I used half Rumchata and half Orange Cream Tippy Cow here. Tippy Cow is the newest creation from the makers of Rumchata. It’s also delicious.)

Take what's left  of your dry mixture and sprinkle it on top of your rhubarb. Don't pack it.

Take what’s left of your dry mixture and sprinkle it on top of your rhubarb. Don’t pack it.

Pop your pan of goodness into the oven, uncovered. Set the timer for 55 minutes. Wait impatiently. Go throw the ball for the dog, or clean up the kitchen or probably the best option to kill the time, pour yourself another glass of Rumchata, relax and enjoy while you wait.

Rhubarb Rumchata Recipe.

So brown, so delicious.
Serve warm with some vanilla ice cream and you’ll find a little bit of heaven.

Let me know if you try this recipe and don’t forget to pin it!

50 thoughts on “Not Your Mama’s Recipe- Rumchata Rhubarb Crisp.

1. Natalie Vandenberghe says:

Your recipe sounds delicious! I have to admit: I’m not familiar with Rumchata; however, my husband just picked some rhubarb from the garden and I think I’m going to suggest your recipe to him. Thanks for sharing!

2. Jennifer says:

Rumchata is sooo good! It’s fantastic mixed with cream and served over ice in a little glass. Or a big one! You can also add some butterscotch schnapps and it’s like a Cinnabon in a glass. Rumchata can also really make a cup of hot cocoa make you want to jump in and swim around in it, especially when it’s cold and snowing outside. Try it! It’s really fun to serve that to guests who stop by at Christmas time. They won’t want to leave! Now I’m going to have to try this rhubarb crisp and invite the same friends over and see how long they stay. Better yet, I think I will make the dessert at their house, and help drink their Rumchata while it bakes! 🙂

3. Monica Lee says:

This is an awesome recipe! I made it last night (halved the topping ingredients and skipped the base). It was DELICIOUS, and both husband and stepson loved it, too. Totally inspired. Thank you for sharing. (By the way, if you’re a fan of Rumchata, have you tried a “White Mexican”? It’s Rumchata, vanilla vodka and Kahlua. Decadent, evil and delightful. The other day, I added a scoop of ice cream (and ice), blended it and made it into a malt. The best after-dinner drink EVER!)

4. Lynne Graves says:

As son as my rhubarb gets a little bigger I am so going to try this. Thanks for the recipe!

5. Well I have to try this sounds wonderful!!!!!

6. Michelle D. says:

Sounds AMAZING! Can’t wait to try it.

7. Diane Elsen says:

Definitely the best and easiest rhubarb recipe. Loved the directions.

8. Jen says:

I WISH I has that pattern! Have been searching for it everywhere!

9. Mary L says:

I have a set of 8 dishes and 4 canister.. in that pattern…

10. Luvndbison says:

Made this using gluten free all purpose flour from Costco and it was absolutely delicious! I love how it only uses a half cup of brown sugar. I couldn’t believe it could get custardy without an egg but it did. I made it for my 89 year old stepdad’s birthday and he just loved it! Definitely a hit.

11. elaine says:

Correct name for this concoction:
    Died and Gone To Heaven

elaine

12. Dale Odden says:

I’ve made 3 rhubarb desserts this spring. The Rumchata Rhubarb Crisp is hands down the best ever.

13. Oh man…now I have to go to the liquor store…wait, Carrie’s house is closer…can you spare a cup for a neighbor?

14. Yum,… words are not necessary.

15. Donna Ohl says:

OK – I am a recovering alcoholic, so the rumchata is out, but this recipie sounds so delicious, what could I substitute?

16. alison says:

I like her..she’s hilarious!

17. Joanne says:

I can’t wait to try this one. I LOVE Rhubarb crisp of any kind and my daughter likes Rumchata so I’m sure it will be a hit?

18. Shirley McMartin says:

Sounds great to avoid the plastic bag just mix the cornstarch into the rumchata and mix with the rhubarb in the measuring cup

19. AGor says:

I found this to be a little too tart for me. Guess I like my rhubarb a little sweeter. If I make this again, I will add some sugar to the rhubarb along with the cornstarch.

20. Gerry Hansen says:

What is rumchata???? is it a mass, liquid or what, I live out in the boomie, never heard of it

21. Judy says:

This is absolutely delicious! Made it last night for a gathering of women and everyone raved about how yummy it was! I don’t think I will make any other rhubarb crisp from now on! Thank you so much for sharing your concoction!

22. Katie says:

How can I print this recipe?? It looks wonderful!!!

23. Jodie Skeel says:

I made some last night. it’s very good – good flavor. i doubled the recipe and made it in a 9 x 13 cake pan. The top is not as crunchy as I had hoped. Next time I will just a 15″ jelly roll pan. great flavor though. Yum *****

24. Heather says:

It’s in the oven now. I did double the recipe however and put it in a 9 x 13 pan! Smells so yummy!!!!

25. robin says:

i made this last night and it is fabulous! everyone loves it!

26. Donna says:

Love this recipe! Made it last night with one switch-up. I didn’t have enough rhubarb, so I used three cups of rhubarb and one cup of strawberries. Love when you can improvise and the recipe still comes out fantastic! Thanks.

27. Jane says:

Do you have to use quick cooking rolled oats or can you use old fashioned oats?

28. DebbyJorgensen says:

I have never had Rhubarb. What does it taste like?

• Sharon Rogers says:

How do you describe a flavor? Almost impossible. Rhubarb is very tart. Try it raw and you’ll pucker up! Reminiscent of kiwi, but not sweet; sour green apples, kinda. Really, just its own unique taste. Only thing I can think of that is just as tart would be gooseberries. Gooseberry pie is wonderful! Rhubarb pie is wonderful!

29. KeriWaiph says:

Hubby was supposed to pick up a bottle of Rumchata today but didn’t so I’m trying it with Bailey’s. I guess we’ll see in 25 minutes how it is. Fingers crossed!

30. carol says:

I tried this recipe tonight and was surprised to be very disappointed. I double checked that I’d followed the recipe exactly, and I did. The Rumchata overpowered the rhubarb. Couldn’t taste rhubarb at all (and my guests agreed), And the topping didn’t get crispy at all but kind of gooey from the bubbled over rhubarb and the melted topping. It was more like eating a pudding of some sort. I tossed what was left.

31. Aubrey says:

Just made this over the weekend and it was so good! Top was perfectly crispy and yummy on the inside. You can definitely taste the Rumchata, but it mixed great with the rhubarb. I will be making another batch.

32. Trudee says:

Love rhubarb and rum chata! Making this for the second time in 2 weeks. We love this! It’s our new favorite rhubarb dessert. Thanks for sharing!

33. Rhonda Curley says:

Today is the second time that I’m making this crisp because it was TOTALLY AMAZEBALLS the first time. Sooo yummy!!! However, I’m trying something new…I put less than a cup of strawberries. I cut them in small pieces, so we’ll see. 🙂

34. heyjude6119 says:

This looks delicious. Trying it immediately.
    Do you mean you mixed 1/2 Rumchata, and 1/2 orange creme in the crisp, or to drink?

On that day I mixed the two for the recipe but I think all Rumchata as the recipe calls for is better. Enjoy!

35. This was yummy! However the rumchata curdled.

36. Kathy says:

can I use quaker oats old fashioned rolled oats?