WordPress won’t let me underline “The” in the title of this post so you understand that this loaded potato salad recipe is the best thing ever, so I added an “e”. I hope the extra vowel helps convey how delicious this potato salad is.
If it doesn’t, the fact that it contains bacon and cheese really should clear up any confusion about other potato salad recipe’s ability to win friends like this one can.
I make this for just about every summer gathering and always have people ask for the recipe. The seasonings I use are very adjustable, you can add what you like. But the Smoked Chipotle Tabasco really adds a lot to this. It also makes this Spinach and Artichoke Dip extra delicious.
In case you were wondering, loaded potato salad is actually very difficult to get a good photo of. It’s all delicious and yummy in the belly but isn’t going to be a cover girl anytime soon.
One of the best things about this recipe is that since it uses red potatoes, you can skip the all the time spent peeling of all the potatoes. You can also prep your ingredients ahead of time and throw it together last minute. But I do think that this is even better after it’s had time to sit and let the flavors merge.
Thee Loaded Potato Salad Recipe.
- 5 lbs Red Potatoes
- 1 large Purple Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 lb Thick Cut Peppered Bacon
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 ½ cups Sour Cream
- ¾ cup Mayo
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Chipotle Tabasco Sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Wash and boil whole potatoes until fork tender. Drain potatoes and place in refrigerator to cool. Once potatoes are cooled chop into small cubes and place in large bowl.
- Fry bacon, place on paper towel to drain fat and then coarsely chop the bacon.
- Peel and coarsely chop purple onion. Add to bowl with potatoes.
- In a separate bowl mix sour cream, mayo and all seasonings. Whisk together until smooth.
- Add mixture to potatoes and onion and stir until everything is well coated. Add bacon and shredded cheese and stir until incorporated.
- Chill for at least 2 hours. To serve top with diced chives or more shredded cheddar.