Shocking undercover dairy video hits home.

February 14, 2013 by dairycarrie

Today a new undercover video of a dairy farm was released and it really hit home for me… Shocking what goes on behind the closed doors of this dairy!

And if that’s not enough to totally rock your world check out this video from the Netherlands.

71 thoughts on “Shocking undercover dairy video hits home.

1. I first found out about this video of cows being abused on the 10:00 news last night. As an animal lover, it broke me heart. People who abuse animals deserve to serve time in jail.

2. […] time a video of abuse comes out dairy farmers like me and my family and Ashley and her family are left trying to defend our livelihoods  […]

3. Beullah says:

Yes I am still waiting for you to answer my questions. I asked how long after birth the calves are taken from their Mother’s? Also would you be willing to phase out Dairy and use subsidies to make HEALTHY MILK from Almonds, Soy, Coconut, etc. It would be so much better for human
    health considering the health problems associated with “Lactose intake and cholesterol etc.
    Not to mention stopping the exploitation of living animals suffering and being slaughtered.
    You would be part of the evolution and advancement of the human race. Have you educated
    yourself on these subjects? The Dairy Industry must make calves to keep the milk flowing,
    this leaves male calves to be sold for veal or killed as babies to make take the rennet from
    their 4th stomach to make cheese. I just ate some “Daiya” CRUELTY FREE CHEESE,. I am
    so exited for “Kite Hill” ATISAN CHEESE COMPANY ALL PLANT BASED CRULETY FREE
    HEALTHY CHEESE!

Beullah, your arguments would be much more effective if you had some of your facts correct. In the US about 90% of male dairy calves are raised as steers and not used for veal. Also in the US the vast majority of cheese production uses artificial rennet. If you can’t get those facts straight how is anyone supposed to believe the rest of your argument?
      If all you are going to do is spam this blog with your comments they will be deleted and you will be blocked.

• Shannon says:

Moreover, Beullah, you seem to be terribly concerned about the timeliness of calf removal from the mother. You do not mention the scientific basis of colostrum intake in reference to the health of the calf. A great percentage of dairy calves, regardless of gender, fail to ingest a sufficient amount of colostrum from the birth mother, leaving them open to an intensely high mortality rate from compromised immune systems. As time passes, both the effectiveness of the mother’s colostrum and the calf’s ability to absorb the antibodies within it, dissipate. Some mothers milk hard, making it difficult for calves to nurse sufficiently. Many calves simply lack the aggression and instinct. They need to be fed because they don’t feed sufficiently on their own. This is all assuming the herd is closed and the farmer does not have to be concerned about breaking the cycle of infectious diseases, such as Johne’s, which will also jeopardize the calf’s future, regardless of gender. For the record, an exceptionally low number of cows care about their calves after 12 hours. That horrible bawling you reference…it’s not there. I have a herd of 60 and maybe two have half a worry about their offspring following calving. Those same two are also a bit neurotic and claim every calf born, regardless of who they were born to. I would be interested to know your background and from where you are getting your information. Have you any actual agricultural experience or are you simply burping back things you have read? Dairy Carrie is correct. People will take you far more seriously if your “facts” are actually facts. I commend you for trying to fight the good fight, but you are unfortunately a bit off base.

4. Beullah says:

I am glad to see the video in which the cows seem to have minimal discomfort. Still we
    cannot use these videos to be apathetic about those who abuse their animals such as
    Willet Cattle who used pick axes and hammers to kill baby male calves. Here is the link.
    I also think we should allow children to choose how they eat based on being educated
    on “eating meat”, “eating a plant based diet”, and the labels of “Carnivore”, Omnivore,
    Vegetarian, Vegan, etc. There are new studies out that show high I.Q. levels in children
    who eat a plant based diet. I am Vegan, 50 years old and still wear a bikini! Everyone
    thinks I am 30! Try it you might like it!

Compassion Is Consistent via Free from Harm

“If children had any idea what goes into that milk, cheese, ice cream, or yogurt, they would be devastated. If children knew that baby cows are forcibly taken from their mothers; if they ever saw a mother cow calling frantically for her baby; if they ever saw a calf crying in a veal crate, or curling into a lonely ball to warm himself; they would never choose to cause such harm to animals.”

Watching these horrors should compel people to go vegan but either way, using animals for our own needs is immoral. Each sentient being on this planet has it’s own right to life. Being vegan is an ethical imperative.

I hope you post this and don’t delete it as that would not be conscientious.

Beullah, I 100% support your right to choose what you eat. Animal abuse is abhorrent and you won’t find someone more against abuse of animals than I am. I can’t say that abuse like what you have linked to doesn’t happen, trotting it out as an example of the dairy industry is wrong. I am certain that there are some pretty horrible people that eat and promote a vegan diet but I don’t hold them up as an example of what all vegans are. That being said while I respect your viewpoint I find that the rhetoric from the vegan side is often wrong. Your post here reads like propaganda and while I don’t block comments unless they are rude or over the top, I don’t think that you are here to learn more about dairy farming. If you are I apologize and welcome your comments and questions.

5. [...] from a blogger “Dairy Carrie” http://dairycarrie.com/2013/02/14/shockingvideo/ – her site also has great articles and other resources as well. This video made some news [...]

6. [...] Carrie last month at a work event and I was so excited to finally meet the mastermind behind the ‘Shocking Undercover Dairy Video.’ Which, is seriously awesome. We share the same passion for agriculture, which stems from life [...]

7. Thanks for sharing a positive undercover video for a change. We are fed so many images of animals being abused and mistreated in factory farms that the entire industry is treated as such. I was fortunate to spend the first five years of my life on a dairy farm and be a county dairy princess my freshman year of college so I know this is not the case. This is the way it *should* be. Healthy, comfortable, happy animals are the best producers. BTW, loved the Campina commercial from the Netherlands! I lived in that country for nearly 8 years and the cheese and yogurt are to die for!

8. Jack Caldwell says:

I am teaching a Dairy Science short course this semester and would like to use your video to reinforce my insistance that proper treament of animals is good for health, lifetime production, and of course, your bottom line.

9. [...] The video was shared through her Facebook page and on her blog. Both of these social media channels are free and accessible to all of us AG-vocates. Dairy Carrie made a huge difference with a clever heading and an under-two-minute video. Her posts are consistent with what social media messages should be: necessary and truthful. Check out her blog and video here! [...]

10. [...] Kudos to Diary Carrie, dairy farmer in Southern Wisconsin, for clearing up the confusion on what really happens on today’s dairy farms. View the original post here. [...]

11. JoshinYall says:

WAKE UP PEOPLE! JUST BECAUE THERE WAS NO SINISTER MUSIC YOU THINK THAT THESE COWS ARE HAPPY????

12. Reblogged this on retiredruth – Life in the 50's and beyond and commented:
    For those of you who have not met Dairy Carrie… here she is. She speaks about farming so well and tells it like it is!

13. Reblogged this on Real Life Farm Wife and commented:
    What the majority of farms really look like.

14. Storey Cole says:

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!

15. ninime says:

Love them both!

You might want to correct the spelling of “peaceful” early in the first video. I thought that long cowpie-plopping sound was the “fight.” I didn’t quite get that part until someone identified it.

Keep up the great work!

16. Clare says:

Totally enjoyed your video, Carrie! Great insight and a true “reality show” — thanks! The video from Netherlands offers insights into the “larger picture” of farming and our need to “take time to think about it”. Thanks for both!

17. jeyrae says:

Just watched “shocking undercover” and read the follow up explaination. I was raised on a dairy(very small) and am still trying to grasp large scale ones. I also work at a livestock sale barn and live on a farm/ranch where we have a 300 head cow herd for beef. I am so thankful you took the time to explain the happenings – I see a lot of crips weekly and yes, it’s sad but it is not from abuse or mis-use. No death is enjoyable but it is a fact of life. Thank you! I hope the uninformed will take time to watch and read your postings and understand we farmers and ranchers are God’s caretakers of His creatures. Thank You AGAIN!!!

• Herb Kreider says:

I co-own a large dairy farm ,( 1000 + cows) our cows are treated with the same care as the ones on smaller farms, we just need bigger barns and more help. Our milk is tested & safe for consumption the same way it is all size farms,so the product you drink is no different. Hope this is a little helpful ,love to give you a tour some time you are in the area. If you email me use subject Dary Cows otherwise I will not open it ,I’ve been hacked.

18. Shannon says:

I have a camera in my birthing arena (also a Wisconsin dairy…organic) available for viewing via a dynamic host site and people are often shocked by that, too. Did you know that sometimes a cow will poop while it is trying to have a calf? Sometimes I don’t run right down there at 2 a.m. and fluff it away while it is still warm, either. Oh, the humanity! It is so unlike people giving birth who obviously expel nothing but baby. :) Nice video.

19. Brian says:

Where’d you get those stunt cows!? LOL

20. Rae says:

This makes me glad I gave up dairy! Cows are made to graze in fields! That is what makes them healthy. Healthy cows make healthy milk and healthy meat. Any other treatment of them is unacceptable!

Hi Rae, it’s winter in Wisconsin. That’s why you saw all that white stuff. Not exactly a peak time for grazing. I’m sorry you’ve given up dairy. You might want to search out more information from more sources.

21. I was swamped when the video was released… so just now had a moment to view it. Great under-cover video ;-)

22. [...] In particular, we’d like to call attention to her latest blog entitled “Shocking undercover dairy video hits home” which features footage filmed on her farm. If the title has piqued your curiousity, chcek it out for yourself at http://dairycarrie.com/2013/02/14/shockingvideo/ [...]

23. Just scandalous! Why cant you be like everyone else and just get your milk at the store! I am shocked and appalled. Honestly, great job and spectacular idea!

24. Diana says:

JUST ANOTHER DAY ON A DAIRY FARM..NOTHING SPECIAL

25. Reblogged this on COUNTRY LINKed and commented:
    Dairy Carrie has gone undercover at her own dairy farm to video what happens at the farm. I need to warn you that these images are in no way shocking, just the truth. Please watch both videos. Thank you Dairy Carrie!

26. How can this be! Totally off agenda for the animal rights activists. The “real milk is unhealthy -eat overly processed something else so that it kind of looks like milk” crowd will be appalled. I, however, could not be happier that either of those things might occur.

27. Plan to share, share, share and share some more!!! Great job Carrie.

28. Julie V. says:

LOVED IT! Shared on my page already!

29. lindslis says:

Found this via Facebook! All of my ag friends have been sharing it! Love it!

30. ang says:

your cows get to go in paddocks of grass?

31. I am shocked! So many black and white cows, having you been hiding Holstein love? :)

32. I am mortified. Jaw dropping. Utterly flabbergasted. The silence is deafening. How miserable those cows must be…eating…standing…lounging…rubbing. Oh the humanity!

33. Eddie Borst says:

It got pretty intense there for a split second when that fight broke out. Great job Dairy Carrie as usual!

34. carrielt says:

I forgot to add that the calves in blankets is just too much!! So cute!!

35. carrielt says:

Great video!! Not once did I hear a moo. Tells me they are very well taken care of and not stress at all!! Great video!!

36. Paula says:

I think I heard fresh cow pie production in the background…. Where was the camera at this point? :)

37. Erin Mullins says:

Both of these videos are great!! I will definatly be sharing the second one because as many people as possible need to see it. I have a feeling it would really get them to thinking.

Have a wonderful Valentines Day and Keep up the good work!!
    Erin

38. iloveag says:

Dairy Carrie, that Undercover Dairy Farm Video is shocking! I’m going to share it with all my friends. Thanks for posting it to make all of us aware!

As for the second video, I wish they had shown within that video some shots of the dairy in the first….imo, it’s VITAL that we show proudly and unapologetically all parts of our supply chain. How effective would it have been to have shown all three types of dairy farms (100% grazing, mixed, and 100% total mixed ration) in that heart-string-tugging video? I loved it, but worry that it does us more harm than good, because it sets us up for the double-shock (to the people truly unfamiliar with production) of a true undercover video: the shock of not seeing green grass, plus whatever contrived shock the makers of the video have added in.

You do excellent work! Keep it up!

Thanks for the comment! I will let you in on a little secret,the first dairy is our farm ;)

I agree with what you are saying on the second video. However it is a video from the Netherlands and grazing is a much higher percentage of the herds there so it makes sense for the commercial to show what it did.

39. Diana says:

Dear Lord, did you see how they have the black and brown ones mixed together?! They’re contaminating our regular milk with CHOCOLATE MILK!!!!!

40. Cow doing cow things, like eating and rubbing. How much longer will we all stand for this!

41. I’m shocked, some of those white cows had black spots all over them. Obviously they are being made work in coal mines!! If the cows eat the coal, that ends up in the milk we drink!!! We have choice left but to ban coal mining to save the cows!

42. brandibuzzard says:

Oh the humanity!

No spam, just an email when I post a new blog.