This chard and gnocchi recipe is a delicious one-pot meal. It’s comfort food but still light enough for a summer meal. Parmesan broth combined with flavorful chard and bacon makes this meal fast enough for a weeknight but tastes like you spent hours cooking.
Have you ever tried any of those meal delivery kits? I tend to get stuck in a rut of making the same old things, despite a cupboard full of cookbooks. The meal delivery kits are pretty great at helping you bust out of a rut and try new ingredients. This recipe is an adaptation from one of the recipes I tried via a meal-delivery kit. Before I tried this recipe I don’t think I had ever cooked with chard.
What is chard?
Chard is a leafy green that comes in a few different varieties. Swiss or Rainbow Chard are the most common. Chard has more of a mellow flavor than cooked spinach or other greens. The stalk of the plant can come in a range of colors from white to yellow to red. Chard is a veggie powerhouse. It contains antioxidants as well as vitamins A, K and C and also contains magnesium, potassium and iron.
How to cook chard-
Chard has a thick stalk that requires a longer cooking time than the leaf of the plant. Separating the leaf and stalk and cooking in stages is a good idea to avoid mushy and overcooked greens. In my chard and gnocchi recipe below I start the onions and chopped chard stalks sauteeing in the pan at the same time.
Easy One Pot Swiss Chard Meal
Using premade gnocchi makes this a quicker weekday version of a “Sunday meal”. I recommend using gnocchi that is in the refrigerator or freezer section of your store over picking a dried, shelf-stable version. In the original version of this recipe, I boiled the gnocchi separately and added them to the other ingredients after I drained them. However, after making this meal several times in my kitchen I have tweaked the instructions to save a step and save some dishes. No one needs extra dishes in their life, right?
More Recipes For Veggie Lovers-
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Easy Cucumber Salad
- Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower, Bacon and Corn Chowder
- Pork Medallions with Capers and Olives
- Egg Strata with Veggies
- Buttery Sauteed Radishes
My favorite pan for making this recipe- Affiliate Link
Gnocchi with Chard and Bacon in Parmesan Broth
- 1 tbsp Garlic
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, Chopped
- 1 Bunch Swiss Chard
- ¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- ½ tbsp Butter
- 6 Slices Bacon
- 3 cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1 lb Gnocchi – I prefer the frozen type over dried.
- 2 tbsp Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Grated Sartori Sarvecchio or Parmesan Cheese
- Chop onion into small pieces. Cut the leaves of the Swiss chard from the stems, cut stems into small slices. Keeping the leaves separate, cut leaves into small ribbons. You’ll want about 1 cup of stems and 3 packed cups of leaves. Mince garlic.
- Fry bacon until crisp in a high sided pan. When bacon is done cooking, drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon grease. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter to pan and heat on medium high. Add red pepper, garlic, onion and Swiss chard stems. Saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth to pan, increase heat to bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and allow to simmer until broth is reduced by 1/3. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Add gnocchi and Swiss chard leaves to broth. Cook until greens are wilted 2-3 minutes. Add cream and shredded Parmesan and stir. Top with bacon crumbles and serve.
Merrilyn (Merri) McElderry
I love your posts and am not getting them much…Please keep sending and also on facebool
Do you deliver to California??? Looks Delish!!!
For you two, I might!